Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bailey

Default Data Type Problem?

I have a spreadsheet that was given to me but I cannot do anything with
it. I cannot perform simple functions, if I do I receive the #Value
error or a zero, if I try to paste special values only the same thing
happens. If I try to change the formats nothing actually changes. I
have tried copy and pasting into different formats and programs and
then pasting into a new Excel doc, none of this has worked. I believe
the data came from a web reporting interface that pulled data from a
sequel database. Any advice would be greatly apprecaited. bailey mg

--
bailey
bailey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29336

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bailey

thanks, but I have tried this a few times and it doesn't work. I have
also assumed that the "wrong data type" is text and so I have followed
the instructions to change text to a number but that has not worked
either. Any other ideas? I really appreciate your help.

--
bailey
bailey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29336
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=490496

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

To extract the number from text is =value(A1) (in a separate column)
then copy and Paste Special, Values back over the A column (and delete
the helper column created)

bailey Wrote:
thanks, but I have tried this a few times and it doesn't work. I have
also assumed that the "wrong data type" is text and so I have followed
the instructions to change text to a number but that has not worked
either. Any other ideas? I really appreciate your help.

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=490496

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bailey

Bryan,

thanks, but it isn't recognizing the value. Thus, instead of providing
a value, I get the #value! error. I have also tried both methods that
are in the Excel tips section of exceltip.com but to no avail.

--
bailey
bailey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29336
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=490496

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bailey

Sure, If I'm following correctly, here it is:

145656* 53440* $20,980,279.65* $144.04*
92275* 35679* $10,417,074.43* $112.89*
90635* 34930* $8,685,315.87* $95.83*
87643* 31368* $11,959,992.26* $136.46*
83080* 28001* $12,381,818.36* $149.03*
70926* 26256* $9,921,110.03* $139.88*

--
bailey
bailey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29336
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=490496

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bailey

Bryan,

Thanks, the fact that the * revealed itself was a big help in itself. I
could not get the formula to work, but could remove the manually by
backspacing in the formula bar. The problem is I have thousands of
them. Any other ideas? Thanks again for your help!

-Bailey