Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David

Default Problem closing Excel

My research saw one other user describe the same problem I'm having, but
without an explanation/resolution.
Scenario:
Two workbooks open.
I attempt to close Excel(2000) by clicking Excel's close X (not the
workbooks' close X), and am prompted to save changes.
I choose 'Yes to All' and Excel just sits there.
Losing patience after a minute or so, I click Excel's close X again.
Files save and Excel closes.

This only happens if these two particular workbooks are open, not if either
one or the other is open with any other second file. This makes me think
it's going to be impossible for anyone here to offer an explanation or
point to a solution, but I'm asking anyway.

Anyone care to tackle this?

--
David
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David

David wrote

My research saw one other user describe the same problem I'm having,
but without an explanation/resolution.
Scenario:
Two workbooks open.
I attempt to close Excel(2000) by clicking Excel's close X (not the
workbooks' close X), and am prompted to save changes.
I choose 'Yes to All' and Excel just sits there.
Losing patience after a minute or so, I click Excel's close X again.
Files save and Excel closes.

This only happens if these two particular workbooks are open, not if
either one or the other is open with any other second file. This makes
me think it's going to be impossible for anyone here to offer an
explanation or point to a solution, but I'm asking anyway.

Anyone care to tackle this?

Additional info:
If I close Excel via either File|Exit or Alt-F4, both files save
immediately after clicking 'Yes to All'.

--
David
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David

David wrote

My research saw one other user describe the same problem I'm having,
but without an explanation/resolution.
Scenario:
Two workbooks open.
I attempt to close Excel(2000) by clicking Excel's close X (not the
workbooks' close X), and am prompted to save changes.
I choose 'Yes to All' and Excel just sits there.
Losing patience after a minute or so, I click Excel's close X again.
Files save and Excel closes.

This only happens if these two particular workbooks are open, not if
either one or the other is open with any other second file. This makes
me think it's going to be impossible for anyone here to offer an
explanation or point to a solution, but I'm asking anyway.

Anyone care to tackle this?

Problem solved. Stumbled on a thread yesterday involving the option
'Recalculate before save' under Tools|Options Calculation. Even though I
had Calculation set to Automatic, I noticed that checkbox was checked under
Manual, though greyed. For both files (just to cover the bases), I
temporarily clicked Manual, unchecked that box, reselected Automatic and
voila! Both files would immediately Save when I closed Excel with X and
clicked 'Yes to All'.

Diane (the other user), from March 23, 2005: in the off-chance you read
this....

--
David