JP Jones

Default Problem pasting numeric data from Access into Excel

I have recently upgrated from Excel 2000 to Excel 2002.

When I copy and paste a table from Access to Excel it stores all the numeric
fields as text, even though they are properly formated in Access.

I did not have this problem with Excel 2000. Does anyone have any idea what
is going wrong here?
JP Jones

I could do that, but copying and pasting is quicker, and it irks me that
Excel 2002 cant do something simple that Excel 2000 could do.

I suspect this is a bug in 2002, so I'm sure there is a quick fix out
there.... if only I could find it.

"Gordon" wrote:

"JP Jones" <JP wrote in message
I have recently upgrated from Excel 2000 to Excel 2002.

When I copy and paste a table from Access to Excel it stores all the

numeric
fields as text, even though they are properly formated in Access.

I did not have this problem with Excel 2000. Does anyone have any idea

what
is going wrong here?

Why are you copying and pasting the table? Just export it to xls format.
Easy.

Dave O

"What's going on" is that Access brings a lot of overhead with it when
you cut and paste into Excel, and the overhead is causing Excel to
interpret numbers as text. In the "number" cells do you see a leading
apostrophe for each entry? If yes, do a search within this newsgroup
for workarounds.

Gordon

"JP Jones" wrote in message
I could do that, but copying and pasting is quicker,

How is copy and paste quicker than exporting?

Gordon

"Dave O" wrote in message
oups.com...
"What's going on" is that Access brings a lot of overhead with it when
you cut and paste into Excel, and the overhead is causing Excel to
interpret numbers as text. In the "number" cells do you see a leading
apostrophe for each entry? If yes, do a search within this newsgroup
for workarounds.

http://alt-usage-english.org/posting_quotes.html

Paul D. Simon

I'm not sure if this will work in your version, but give it a try and
let us know:

Instead of pasting, do EditPaste Special, and choose CSV or Text.

JP Jones

Yes that works. Thank you.