lawmere

Default Linking information form one worksheet to another

Hi, i have a big problem

i want to create a link between some columns in two seperate worksheets, so
that when i type a name on the master sheet it would give me the required
information.Dont know if i explained this right, lets say on the master sheet
i have columns : Name,Sex and Height on columns A,D and BH respectively i
want that if i type a person's name in worksheet 2 it should give me the
results on columns A,C,F in that worksheet. Please help i need it asap for my
director
Max

One way ..

Assuming your "master" sheet is named: Master, with data in row1 down

In Sheet2,
Names would be entered in A1 down
Put in C1: =INDEX(Master!D:D,MATCH(A1,Master!A:A,0))
Put in F1: =INDEX(Master!BH:BH,MATCH(A1,Master!A:A,0))
Copy C1 and F1 down as far as required

--
Rgds
Max
"lawmere" wrote in message
Hi, i have a big problem

i want to create a link between some columns in two seperate worksheets,

so
that when i type a name on the master sheet it would give me the required
information.Dont know if i explained this right, lets say on the master

sheet
i have columns : Name,Sex and Height on columns A,D and BH respectively i
want that if i type a person's name in worksheet 2 it should give me the
results on columns A,C,F in that worksheet. Please help i need it asap for

my
director

lawmere

hi Max

It wont work for me when i tried to upload it it would not let me put
anything in F1 or maybe i didnt explain myself prperly am so sorry am just
panicking. will start again if you could help explain in a novice form pls:

Worksheet 1 is called Master with all the stored information and is designed
as follows

Name Sex Age Height Occupation Education Religion

Worksheet 2 is designed as an inspection sheet as follows:

Person Location Sex Areapostcode Attitude Height

now what i want to do is if i type in a person's name in worksheet 2 i want
it to automatically fill in similar columns with worksheet1 i.e [Sex and
Height]

Regards

Lawrence

"lawmere" wrote in message
Hi, i have a big problem

i want to create a link between some columns in two seperate worksheets,

so
that when i type a name on the master sheet it would give me the required
information.Dont know if i explained this right, lets say on the master

sheet
i have columns : Name,Sex and Height on columns A,D and BH respectively i
want that if i type a person's name in worksheet 2 it should give me the
results on columns A,C,F in that worksheet. Please help i need it asap for

my
director

Max

Could you upload a copy of your file, and post a *link* to it here in reply?
Think there's a need to see your actual set-up
One free filehost you could use: http://www.flypicture.com/

Note: Pl do not post any attachments to the newsgroup.
--
Rgds
Max
"lawmere" wrote in message
[...]

lawmere

kindly find attached the columns i want to link are
*http://www.flypicture.com?display=updone&id=rd33mq7Z * for the master
worksheet and *http://www.flypicture.com?display=updone&id=rd33mq7a* for the
second worksheet.

The columns i want to link with are in supermarket3

"lawmere" wrote in message
[...]

Max

See the sample implemented at:
http://cjoint.com/?ljrEMPjI4L
Linking_Info_Between_Sheets_lawmere_misc.xls

Part number entered in A7 down

Put in C7:
=INDEX(Master!D:D,MATCH(TEXT(A7,"0000"),Master!A:A ,0))

Put in F7:
=INDEX(Master!BH:BH,MATCH(TEXT(A7,"0000"),Master!A :A,0))

Copy C7 & F7 down the columns
as far as there is data entered in col A

" TEXT(A7,"0000") " is used instead of just: " A7 "
to convert the input lookup value in A7 to text
as the part number in Master!A:A is text number, not real number
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

lawmere

Hi Max,

Thanks fr the solution sorry i couldn't get back to yesterday had to dash
off . It works fine the only problem is that i cant seem to vary the part nos
in the column to maybe different characters or digits it seems to be fixed at
just 4 characters how may i change this pls.

regards

"Max" wrote:

See the sample implemented at:
http://cjoint.com/?ljrEMPjI4L
Linking_Info_Between_Sheets_lawmere_misc.xls

Part number entered in A7 down

Put in C7:
=INDEX(Master!D:D,MATCH(TEXT(A7,"0000"),Master!A:A ,0))

Put in F7:
=INDEX(Master!BH:BH,MATCH(TEXT(A7,"0000"),Master!A :A,0))

Copy C7 & F7 down the columns
as far as there is data entered in col A

" TEXT(A7,"0000") " is used instead of just: " A7 "
to convert the input lookup value in A7 to text
as the part number in Master!A:A is text number, not real number
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Max

Perhaps its better to use instead:

In Sheet2,

In C7: =INDEX(Master!D:D,MATCH(A7&"",Master!A:A,0))
In F7: =INDEX(Master!BH:BH,MATCH(A7&"",Master!A:A,0))

Then copy down as before
--
Rgds
Max