Mak

Default Open several workbooks in their own window

Excel 2003.

How do you go about opening a separate workbook in its own window? Similar
to how MS Word opens a new window for each document. I have 2 monitors set up
(laptop with desktop monitor attached) and I work with too many spreadsheets
which I would rather be able to view on separate screens rather than having
to switch from one workbook to the next. Simply arranging the windows (eg
tiled, horizontal, vertical) reduces the viewing area too much.

Any suggestions?

In addition, when you close a Word document via red box 'x' - top right, it
doesn't close all other Word documents that are open. Is it possble to do
this in Excel?

Thanks.

Dave Peterson

Excel and MSWord behave differently.

From reading posts from people with multiple monitors, it looks like the easiest
thing to do is start another instance of excel, then file|open the second
workbook.

One way to start another instance is:
windows start button|run
type
Excel
and hit enter

You could also create a new shortcut (on your desktop) that points at excel.exe
and just use that, too.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Leo

I do not use separate monitors but used a crystal generated spread sheet
which changed something and caused all my spread sheets to display in one
window. using startrunexcel gave me a nwe sheet that let me open each sheet
in a saparate window.

Thanks

Leo
--
What is the Law of Unintended Consequences?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Excel and MSWord behave differently.

From reading posts from people with multiple monitors, it looks like the easiest

Mak wrote:

Excel 2003.

How do you go about opening a separate workbook in its own window? Similar
to how MS Word opens a new window for each document. I have 2 monitors set up
(laptop with desktop monitor attached) and I work with too many spreadsheets
which I would rather be able to view on separate screens rather than having
to switch from one workbook to the next. Simply arranging the windows (eg
tiled, horizontal, vertical) reduces the viewing area too much.

Any suggestions?

In addition, when you close a Word document via red box 'x' - top right, it
doesn't close all other Word documents that are open. Is it possble to do
this in Excel?

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Almost but not quite the
After launching the second Excel instance, and beginning a second workbook,
I can see the data in both workbooks, but I can't copy worksheets between
them.
This forces me to: save & close the second worksheet, reopen it within the
first instance, copy the worksheet over to the second workbook, save and
close, then re-open it back in the seond Excel instance. Any way to get the
first instance to recognize the worksheets in the second Excel instance, and
vice versa?
(Copy /pasting cells is not a problem, just the "entire worksheet" level.)

Word doesn't have these issues. as each file is in a separate window.
Thanks, Brian

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Excel and MSWord behave differently.

From reading posts from people with multiple monitors, it looks like the easiest

Mak wrote:

Excel 2003.

How do you go about opening a separate workbook in its own window? Similar
to how MS Word opens a new window for each document. I have 2 monitors set up
(laptop with desktop monitor attached) and I work with too many spreadsheets
which I would rather be able to view on separate screens rather than having
to switch from one workbook to the next. Simply arranging the windows (eg
tiled, horizontal, vertical) reduces the viewing area too much.

Any suggestions?

In addition, when you close a Word document via red box 'x' - top right, it
doesn't close all other Word documents that are open. Is it possble to do
this in Excel?

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

MSWord doesn't have the problem precisely because each document is opened in a
separate window--not a separate instance of MSWord.

If you want to open workbooks in separate instances of excel, you'll have to put
up with the restrictions that come along with that decision.

And the post you're replying to is a couple of years old.

I don't own multiple monitors, but I've read posts that say you can open one
instance of excel and resize the application to cover both monitors.

The open the two files and arrange/drag the second window to the second monitor.

You can also use window|new window and arrange the windows of the active
workbook.

Chip Pearson explains it with pictures:
http://cpearson.com/excel/MultipleMonitors.aspx

"Dave Peterson" wrote: