BEEJAY

Default temporary use of excel settings on a different computer

Is it possible to temporarily install/run any of my excel 2003 custom
toolbars on someone elses computer (using a USB cruzer/memory stick).
I think the only way is to copy over the Excel11.xlb, in which case any
modifications made by that computers operator will be lost.
Is there a way to "pull out" only my custom tool-bars?
The only way that I can think of is to rename the original Excel11 to "old",
Install my copy, then re-assign the proper name to "old", which would then
over-write my copy (which is what I would want).
I hope there is an easier way.
If not, I think I'll just start lugging my desktop around to the conference
room, etc.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dave Peterson

You could create a new toolbar and copy the icons you want to share to that new
toolbar. Then attach that toolbar to a workbook and share the workbook.

But if both pc's are running the same version of excel (2003), then I don't see
a problem with doing what you suggested.

(All with excel closed)
Just back up their *.xlb first (to a nice location)
put your version of *.xlb into that folder
start up excel
do your work
close excel and put things back.

But the real problem may be what those icons do when you click on them. If you
just added some from the Tools|Customize dialog (all built in), then I don't
think you should have a problem.

However, if those toolbar icons run macros that you wrote, you'll have to work
harder.

If you do want to share macros with others, you can create the toolbar each time
the workbook (or addin) opens. Then remove the toolbar when you close your
workbook (or close excel).

I really like the way John Walkenbach adds stuff to the worksheet menu bar:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?th...5B41%40msn.com

--

Dave Peterson
BEEJAY

Greetings:
1: I agree, J-Walks Menu Maker is great. I use it extensively.
It is not at all difficult to work with.
2: I will try your toolbar set up further, at a later date.
In the meantime, I found exactly what I need in the Dummies
Excel VBA Programming (John Walkenbach), although I am having
difficulty "joining" two examples.
I'll do a seperate posting, to keep things flowing properly.
3: Your right: My custom macros required lots of extra work, but it is well
worth it. By attaching my custom toolbars to the workbook, I also get to
"keep" my special icons, which I am most familiar with.

I appreciate your response and look forward to setting up a template, as
per your sample, for future use.