swesterm

Default Opening Excel after changing settings and add-ins

I am choosing certain add-ins and personalizing my excel with settings, yet
when I open up excel after closing it none of the changes come up. I have
tried saving a file in the XlStart folder w/in Programs/Office/ but that
folder is Read-Only at work and I cannot seem to bypass that. How can I have
all of my add-ins and personalized settings stay for my excel sessions in the
future?
Gord Dibben

First of all, do you have permissions to save and modify files if on a server?

If not, see your IT person.

For global stored settings..........

Do a file search for *.XLB which is the file that Excel stores some
preferences in(some are written to the registry, see below).

Menu and Toolbar customizations are saved in the *.XLB file.

A file search may turn up more than one *.XLB file. You will have
to determine which is correct one.

Note where they are and make a minor change to a Toolbar in Excel.
Save/close and see which *.XLB file was modified.

You can copy this file and save as a backup

Screen layout, color info, checked Add-ins and many ToolsOptions
settings are stored in the Registry, not in the *.XLB file.

To see some of what's stored in the Registry have a peek at this
section in it, if you feel comfortable.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\E xcel\Options

XX is your version of Excel...8,9,10,11

Assuming you are aware of the precautions taken when editing the
Registry and know how to restore a recent backup of same.......

If not, maybe have a look here first...scroll down to "Registry
editing tips"

http://www.activewin.com/tips/reg/index.shtml

Export all these keys(as a branch group) to a .REG file so's you can
back them up.

In addition..........

You can design a worksheet with the customizing you desire, then
save it as a worksheet template named SHEET.XLT. It would be stored
in the Office\XLSTART folder and new worksheets would be patterned
upon this.

Conversely you could set up a workbook with one worksheet with the
customizations. Save As BOOK.XLT in XLSTART folder. It will become
the default new workbook.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:07:02 -0800, "swesterm"
wrote:

I am choosing certain add-ins and personalizing my excel with settings, yet
when I open up excel after closing it none of the changes come up. I have
tried saving a file in the XlStart folder w/in Programs/Office/ but that
folder is Read-Only at work and I cannot seem to bypass that. How can I have
all of my add-ins and personalized settings stay for my excel sessions in the
future?

swesterm

Gord,

Thx for the help, however that is not working.
1) I did a search and there is no *.XLB file
2) I tried saving a file down in xlStart folders but all of them are
read-only. And i AM able to save files to our server. It is just a bit odd
that those folders (xlStart) are read-only.
3) I tried the Registry link but that didnt help too much. Any other ideas?

When I choose certain Add-ins they don't come up the next time I open u
excel.
Gord Dibben

1. If you have opened and run Excel at least once, you will have an *.XLB
file created. Make sure your Folder OptionsViewHidden Files settings are
set to "show all files" and "Hide extensions etc." is not checked.

NOTE again.......the *.XLB file is where Menu and Toolbar customizations are
stored. Add-ins preferences are not stored here.

2. Don't know why these files would be read-only but not the source of your
problem.

3. "Didn't help too much" means what? Could not locate the hive or when you
drilled down you found no keys? The add-ins checked in ToolsAdd-ins would
show up as.....

Open
Open1
Open2