Gord Dibben

First of all, do you have permissions to save and modify files if on a server?

If not, see your IT person.

For global stored settings..........

Do a file search for *.XLB which is the file that Excel stores some
preferences in(some are written to the registry, see below).

Menu and Toolbar customizations are saved in the *.XLB file.

A file search may turn up more than one *.XLB file. You will have
to determine which is correct one.

Note where they are and make a minor change to a Toolbar in Excel.
Save/close and see which *.XLB file was modified.

You can copy this file and save as a backup

Screen layout, color info, checked Add-ins and many ToolsOptions
settings are stored in the Registry, not in the *.XLB file.

To see some of what's stored in the Registry have a peek at this
section in it, if you feel comfortable.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\E xcel\Options

XX is your version of Excel...8,9,10,11

Assuming you are aware of the precautions taken when editing the
Registry and know how to restore a recent backup of same.......

If not, maybe have a look here first...scroll down to "Registry
editing tips"

http://www.activewin.com/tips/reg/index.shtml

Export all these keys(as a branch group) to a .REG file so's you can
back them up.

In addition..........

You can design a worksheet with the customizing you desire, then
save it as a worksheet template named SHEET.XLT. It would be stored
in the Office\XLSTART folder and new worksheets would be patterned
upon this.

Conversely you could set up a workbook with one worksheet with the
customizations. Save As BOOK.XLT in XLSTART folder. It will become
the default new workbook.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:07:02 -0800, "swesterm"
wrote:

I am choosing certain add-ins and personalizing my excel with settings, yet
when I open up excel after closing it none of the changes come up. I have
tried saving a file in the XlStart folder w/in Programs/Office/ but that
folder is Read-Only at work and I cannot seem to bypass that. How can I have
all of my add-ins and personalized settings stay for my excel sessions in the
future?