Anne-Marie

Default How do I find the total number of the same number/letter in a row

I am not trying to find the sum of numbers but want to evaluate how many
number 1s, 2s etc that I have without having to count manually. Also would
like to do the same with letters. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

milnei

countif does not sum all the instances, sumif does.

Just try it.

Cheers

Ian

--
milnei
milnei's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28235

Anne-Marie

Default How do I find the total number of the same number/letter in a

Thanks Bob - that helped me with the first bit but am now trying to do
multiple criterias (see posting above), is it possible?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(2:2,1)

=COUNTIF(2:2,"A")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Anne-Marie" wrote in message
I am not trying to find the sum of numbers but want to evaluate how many
number 1s, 2s etc that I have without having to count manually. Also would
like to do the same with letters. Any suggestions would be much

appreciated.

Roger Govier

Hi

The OP said she did not want sum. She wanted a count of the occurrences.
Bob's solution does just that.

Regards

Roger Govier

milnei wrote:
countif does not sum all the instances, sumif does.

Just try it.

Cheers

Ian

Bob Phillips

You mean where row 1 = 1 say, and row 2 = "A"?

=SUMPRODUCT(--(1:1=1),--(2:2="A"))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Anne-Marie" wrote in message
Thanks Bob - that helped me with the first bit but am now trying to do
multiple criterias (see posting above), is it possible?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(2:2,1)

=COUNTIF(2:2,"A")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Anne-Marie" wrote in message
I am not trying to find the sum of numbers but want to evaluate how

many
number 1s, 2s etc that I have without having to count manually. Also

would
like to do the same with letters. Any suggestions would be much

appreciated.

Anne-Marie

Maybe. I want to work out how many kids had grades 5c-7a for example. I have
all the information sent to me on excel - assessment grades are from 3c-7a (c
being lower than a) and effort grades are 1-4.
From a total of say 13 assessment grades, I want to work out how many are
above a certain boundary for each kid - really to see where problems may be
occurring, so I don't want a sum, just a total number above a certain value.

"Anne-Marie" wrote in message
Thanks Bob - that helped me with the first bit but am now trying to do
multiple criterias (see posting above), is it possible?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(2:2,1)

=COUNTIF(2:2,"A")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Anne-Marie" wrote in message
I am not trying to find the sum of numbers but want to evaluate how

many
number 1s, 2s etc that I have without having to count manually. Also

would
like to do the same with letters. Any suggestions would be much
appreciated.

Bob Phillips

Tricky. Let's say you want to count all better than 3a, then best to count
all = 3, an subtract and 3 and not = a, like

=COUNTIF(1:1,"=3*")-SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(1:1,1)="3"),--(RIGHT(1:1,1)<"a"))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Anne-Marie" wrote in message
Maybe. I want to work out how many kids had grades 5c-7a for example. I

have
all the information sent to me on excel - assessment grades are from 3c-7a

(c
being lower than a) and effort grades are 1-4.
From a total of say 13 assessment grades, I want to work out how many are

"Anne-Marie" wrote in message
Thanks Bob - that helped me with the first bit but am now trying to do
multiple criterias (see posting above), is it possible?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(2:2,1)

=COUNTIF(2:2,"A")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Anne-Marie" wrote in message
I am not trying to find the sum of numbers but want to evaluate

how
many
number 1s, 2s etc that I have without having to count manually.

Also
would
like to do the same with letters. Any suggestions would be much
appreciated.

Anne-Marie

I am totally confused by that Bob. As a total novice I am not sure what you
mean by 2:2 etc - Could you possibly explain? Cheers and thanks for your help
so far.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(2:2,1)

=COUNTIF(2:2,"A")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Anne-Marie" wrote in message
I am not trying to find the sum of numbers but want to evaluate how many
number 1s, 2s etc that I have without having to count manually. Also would
like to do the same with letters. Any suggestions would be much

appreciated.

Anne-Marie

Me again! Assume this is a section of the spreadsheet. Now in each row, I
want to
2 4a 2 4a 1 3a 2 5c 1
1 4a 2 4a 1 4c 1 3a 2
3 4c 2 3b 2 3a 2 3a know how many grades are above 4a for each child but I
do not want to include numbers without letters because they are effort grades
not attainment grades. Is there any way to do that?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(2:2,1)

=COUNTIF(2:2,"A")

--