Bob Phillips

Default How do I find the total number of the same number/letter in a

Tricky. Let's say you want to count all better than 3a, then best to count
all = 3, an subtract and 3 and not = a, like

=COUNTIF(1:1,"=3*")-SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(1:1,1)="3"),--(RIGHT(1:1,1)<"a"))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Anne-Marie" wrote in message
Maybe. I want to work out how many kids had grades 5c-7a for example. I

have
all the information sent to me on excel - assessment grades are from 3c-7a

(c
being lower than a) and effort grades are 1-4.
From a total of say 13 assessment grades, I want to work out how many are
above a certain boundary for each kid - really to see where problems may

be
occurring, so I don't want a sum, just a total number above a certain

value.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

You mean where row 1 = 1 say, and row 2 = "A"?

=SUMPRODUCT(--(1:1=1),--(2:2="A"))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Anne-Marie" wrote in message
Thanks Bob - that helped me with the first bit but am now trying to do
multiple criterias (see posting above), is it possible?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(2:2,1)

=COUNTIF(2:2,"A")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Anne-Marie" wrote in message
I am not trying to find the sum of numbers but want to evaluate

how
many
number 1s, 2s etc that I have without having to count manually.

Also
would
like to do the same with letters. Any suggestions would be much
appreciated.