Rickettsjt

Default My Excel 2000 won't open

I can't get me excel files to open. The program box comes up and the hour
glass just sits there waiting. Then low resources error comes on when you
try to ctrl, atl, delete. Any help? I've tried re-installing office but
still get the same thing.

TJ
Jim Rech

Might be a corrupt toolbar file. With Excel closed go to this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

and rename the file EXCEL.XLB to something else like Excel.abc and then see
if Excel will start.

--
Jim
"Rickettsjt" wrote in message
|I can't get me excel files to open. The program box comes up and the hour
| glass just sits there waiting. Then low resources error comes on when you
| try to ctrl, atl, delete. Any help? I've tried re-installing office but
| still get the same thing.
|
| TJ

Rickettsjt

It work! When I went to the last excel file I was working on and try to open
it said this file was in the wrong format. I had saved it to a disk and
reloaded it and now it opens too. Is there anything I should know about
changing the name to excel.abc? Thanks for your good advise on this.

TJ

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Might be a corrupt toolbar file. With Excel closed go to this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

and rename the file EXCEL.XLB to something else like Excel.abc and then see
if Excel will start.

--
Jim
"Rickettsjt" wrote in message
|I can't get me excel files to open. The program box comes up and the hour
| glass just sits there waiting. Then low resources error comes on when you
| try to ctrl, atl, delete. Any help? I've tried re-installing office but
| still get the same thing.
|
| TJ

Rickettsjt

Thanks again , Jim It worked. Do I have to do anything else with changing
that file name .abc

TJ

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Might be a corrupt toolbar file. With Excel closed go to this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

and rename the file EXCEL.XLB to something else like Excel.abc and then see
if Excel will start.

--
Jim
"Rickettsjt" wrote in message
|I can't get me excel files to open. The program box comes up and the hour
| glass just sits there waiting. Then low resources error comes on when you
| try to ctrl, atl, delete. Any help? I've tried re-installing office but
| still get the same thing.
|
| TJ

David McRitchie

If I am seeing this correctly you changed the file extension. A file .extension
of .xls is used by the system to indicate that Excel should open the file.
The file types are set in My Computer (explorer), Tools, Folder options, file types.

---
HTH,

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Might be a corrupt toolbar file. With Excel closed go to this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

and rename the file EXCEL.XLB to something else like Excel.abc and then see
if Excel will start.

--
Jim
"Rickettsjt" wrote in message
|I can't get me excel files to open. The program box comes up and the hour
| glass just sits there waiting. Then low resources error comes on when you
| try to ctrl, atl, delete. Any help? I've tried re-installing office but
| still get the same thing.
|
| TJ

Gord Dibben

David

Ricjettsjt changed the Excel.xlb file to Excel.abc to build a new one because
it appears the old one was corrupt.

Since Excel built a new *.xlb file and Rickettsjt is happy, he(she) can just
delete the Excel.abc file.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Might be a corrupt toolbar file. With Excel closed go to this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

and rename the file EXCEL.XLB to something else like Excel.abc and then see
if Excel will start.

--
Jim
"Rickettsjt" wrote in message
|I can't get me excel files to open. The program box comes up and the hour
| glass just sits there waiting. Then low resources error comes on when you
| try to ctrl, atl, delete. Any help? I've tried re-installing office but
| still get the same thing.
|
| TJ

Jim Rech

Changing Excel.xlb to Excel.abc was just to keep Excel from loading it when
it started up, and to give you the ability to rename it back if the XLB was
not the problem. Every time you make a change to your toolbars or menubars
Excel saves those 'customizations' (intentional or not) in your XLB file.
For reasons that are beyond me the XLB file sometimes (too often IMO)
becomes corrupted and Excel hangs starting up. The only answer I know of is
to delete or rename the XLB. Of course if you had any intentional
customizations they would have to be re-created.

Since I've customized my toolbars quite a bit I always make a backup copy of
my (good) XLB file just in case it goes bad. That way I don't have to start
over from scratch.

--
Jim
"Rickettsjt" wrote in message
| Thanks again , Jim It worked. Do I have to do anything else with changing
| that file name .abc
|
| TJ
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| Might be a corrupt toolbar file. With Excel closed go to this folder:
|
| C:\Documents and Settings\<user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
|
| and rename the file EXCEL.XLB to something else like Excel.abc and then
see
| if Excel will start.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Rickettsjt" wrote in message
| |I can't get me excel files to open. The program box comes up and the
hour
| | glass just sits there waiting. Then low resources error comes on when
you
| | try to ctrl, atl, delete. Any help? I've tried re-installing office
but
| | still get the same thing.
| |