Jason Dove

Default Excel files in separate program windows

Prior to Windows 2003, when opening different excel files, the files would
open in their own Excel Programs windows. This feature still exists with
Word 2003, but I have not seen this feature in Excel.

Methods suggested to mimic this setting is to go to Tools - Options
"Windows in Taskbar" or "Ignore Other Applications" or Open Two Separate
Programs from the Start Menu. Also the Window - "Compare" method has been
suggested; however, I don't want to compare two different worksheets, I want
to have two separate worksheet programs open.

Is there a setting available so that each file of Excel that is opened can
be opened in its own Program Window? For Example, Tools - Options - View
"Open Files in Own Program Window"?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Peo Sjoblom

You must be very thick having the nerve asking the same question in a peer to
peer NG after your rude behaviour earlier, this is not MS helpdesk.

Excel does not have this functionality regardless of what you think, 2002
didn't have it, 2000 didn't have it etc, Word has it, only way is to select
ignore other applications and open 2 independent copies of Excel

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Jason Dove" wrote:

Prior to Windows 2003, when opening different excel files, the files would
open in their own Excel Programs windows. This feature still exists with
Word 2003, but I have not seen this feature in Excel.

Methods suggested to mimic this setting is to go to Tools - Options
"Windows in Taskbar" or "Ignore Other Applications" or Open Two Separate
Programs from the Start Menu. Also the Window - "Compare" method has been
suggested; however, I don't want to compare two different worksheets, I want
to have two separate worksheet programs open.

Is there a setting available so that each file of Excel that is opened can
be opened in its own Program Window? For Example, Tools - Options - View
"Open Files in Own Program Window"?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Duke Carey

On the contrary, Peo DID answer your question. The option you seek isn't and
wasn't a 'feature' of Excel, or certainly not any recent version of Excel. I
haven't used Excel 97 for a *long* time, so can't swear about that version,
but would bet that you are in error in your assertion.

Certainly you have never been able to use Excel's FileOpen menu to create
what you have called an 'exterior' window, or what sounds like a separate
instance of Excel.

Moreover, what possible functional value is there to what you seek that
cannot be gained from the "Windows in Taskbar" view option?

"Jason Dove" wrote:

Prior to Windows 2003, when opening different excel files, the files would
open in their own Excel Programs windows. This feature still exists with
Word 2003, but I have not seen this feature in Excel.

Methods suggested to mimic this setting is to go to Tools - Options
"Windows in Taskbar" or "Ignore Other Applications" or Open Two Separate
Programs from the Start Menu. Also the Window - "Compare" method has been
suggested; however, I don't want to compare two different worksheets, I want
to have two separate worksheet programs open.

Is there a setting available so that each file of Excel that is opened can
be opened in its own Program Window? For Example, Tools - Options - View
"Open Files in Own Program Window"?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Jay

Is there a setting available so that each file of Excel that is opened
can be opened in its own Program Window?

These two different ways might help get separate windows for different
excel documents.

#1. From the Windows "Start" menu, use the cascaded menu to open Excel.
Once Excel is running, use "File Open" to open an Excel file. Repeat the
steps for the second file.

#2. Point to an Excel file on the desktop or in a folder. With the right
mouse button, click "Send To Excel". Repeat the steps for the second
file.

For #2, you might not see "Excel" in the "Send To" menu at first. To add it
there, put a shortcut to the Excel program into the folder
C:\Windows\SendTo\

By the way, if you have two files of the same name in different folders,
this allows you to have both open at the same time.

(I have Windows 98.)

Jason Dove

I apologize, but you are mistaken, and the question was not answered.

Prior to Excel 2003, Excel would open in separate program window whenever an
additional file was opened. For an example of what would appear on your
computer screen, please open Microsoft Word. Open a file and change the
shape of the window into the right corner. While still in that window, go to
File - Open and choose a second file. A new window should open and you
should be able to move that file down to the left corner. Now you have two
separate windows of Word open with which you can work. This same
functionality was available in Excel; however, it seems to no longer be the
default.

We gain absolutely no functionality with the "Windows in Taskbar". I'm not
sure how it becomes added benefit to have to tab between windows when
separate windows can be opened simultaneously on the computer screen. My
company uses Excel spreadsheets extensively and have no need to "compare"
spreedsheets, but rather have several open while working. It requires time
and, therefore, money, to have to tab through several spreadsheets to get the
one we need up when they could be open in separate windows. That is how we
preformed work prior to Windows 2003 and since our upgrade we have been
trying to reestablish that setting to make work easier for all our users.

The Same Program Window may be great for you, but it's not a functionality
that has benefitted our company.

"Jason Dove" wrote:

Prior to Windows 2003, when opening different excel files, the files would
open in their own Excel Programs windows. This feature still exists with
Word 2003, but I have not seen this feature in Excel.

Methods suggested to mimic this setting is to go to Tools - Options
"Windows in Taskbar" or "Ignore Other Applications" or Open Two Separate
Programs from the Start Menu. Also the Window - "Compare" method has been
suggested; however, I don't want to compare two different worksheets, I want
to have two separate worksheet programs open.

Is there a setting available so that each file of Excel that is opened can
be opened in its own Program Window? For Example, Tools - Options - View
"Open Files in Own Program Window"?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Jason Dove

Yes Jay. That does work. If you are currently in Excel 98, Go to Start
Button and open up Excel 98.
1. Open a file.
2. Double click on the Green Bar at the top of the Excel program. It should
shrink down in size, but not minimize to the tool bar.
3. Go to File - Open in that window and choose a second file. (Although
this will not allow you to open a file with the same name, you should be able
to open a second file.
4. Now move the second file on the screen.

"Jay" wrote:

Is there a setting available so that each file of Excel that is opened
can be opened in its own Program Window?

These two different ways might help get separate windows for different
excel documents.

Duke Carey

All you describe below is nothing more than restoring or 'de-maximizing' a
window. I have Excel 2003 running right now. By default each file is
maximized. If, however, you click on the WORKSHEET'S restore button, it
will shrink in size a little and then allow you to resize that sheet just as
you describe below. Open another file and resize to your wishes. Common,
everyday Windows behavior

If this is all you need, then you did a very poor job of describing your
issue, and bear the responsibility for wasting others' time, instead of, as
you claimed, that others trying to help were wasting your time. You were
horribly rude and boorish

"Jason Dove" wrote:

[...]

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Jason Dove

Although you have provided an answer, that is not the answer I am looking for
to the problem. I'm sorry if you don't know how to answer the question?

The problem with your solution is that it will not run with a dual monitor
platform while working with other programs at the same time. Although it is
a solution, it is not what I described I was looking for to solve the probem.

All I ask is that you please READ the question before answering, and if you
don't know the answer, then please say so.

I thought this site was supposed to be professional?

"Jason Dove" wrote:

[...]

Duke Carey

PROFESSIONAL? As others have pointed out to you, BUT YOU HAVEN'T BOTHERED TO
READ, this is not a Microsoft help desk. It is a community of users helping
other users.

As far as your statement that "it is not what I described I was looking for
to solve the probem" - this is the VERY FIRST TIME you have mentioned a dual
monitor platform, so you really haven't described your problem very well,
have you? People have had to try to divine just what you are trying to
accomplish, because your descriptions have been poorly stated and incomplete.
You've also used odd terms, such as 'exterior window' which doesn't mean
much of anything. You've asserted that "Excel would open in separate program
window whenever an additional file was opened." Others here, people who are
very, very experienced Excel users, have refuted that claim, more or less,
and I don't recall ever seeing that behavior though I've used Excel for
nearly 20 years. So..what are we supposed to deduce from your postings? You
want us all to admit that we don't know the answer to a problem that we're
guessing about because you haven't quite explained it fully or accurately?
OK, I DON'T KNOW!

"Jason Dove" wrote:

[...]

Jason Dove

I understand that this is not a Microsoft site and that it has rules of
conduct.

The question I have been describing used to occur in Excel 2000 on both one
or two monitors. The number of monitors does not change the question. Both
our single monitor and dual monitors use Excel in the same fashion.

I am asking if anyone knows a setting for Excel 2003, that when they open
additional files, the additional files open in their own program window. A
separate window that can be moved to other parts of the screen. This
function occurred prior to Excel 2003 and still exists with Word 2003.

Thank you for trying to solve the question, but that is not the answer I am
looking for to the problem.

"Jason Dove" wrote:

[...]

Christopher Dove

Dear Peo,

First, as a MVP your tone is completely unprofessional. Second of all, the
more important issue is Microsoft's complete lack of consistency between
programs when they tote this as been such (as you clearly demonstrated).
This is simply identifies another lack of inconsistency between programs and
now, even versions, which frustrates dedicated users of MS products. I will
note that the office suite is getting much better and many kudos to the
developers for going in the right direction.

Cheers!

"Jason Dove" wrote:

Prior to Windows 2003, when opening different excel files, the files would
open in their own Excel Programs windows. This feature still exists with
Word 2003, but I have not seen this feature in Excel.

Methods suggested to mimic this setting is to go to Tools - Options
"Windows in Taskbar" or "Ignore Other Applications" or Open Two Separate
Programs from the Start Menu. Also the Window - "Compare" method has been
suggested; however, I don't want to compare two different worksheets, I want
to have two separate worksheet programs open.

Is there a setting available so that each file of Excel that is opened can
be opened in its own Program Window? For Example, Tools - Options - View
"Open Files in Own Program Window"?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

I know what you're hitting here, Jason, and I think I got a solution
for you. The problem is that double-clicking a spreadsheet doesn't open
a new instance of Excel, it opens it in the current one. Then when you
click the close "x" in the upper right hand corner of the window, it
closes ALL your workbooks, not just the current one. This is not
consistent with the way Word works. Perhaps on some level it is
consistent, but it obviously breaks user expectation or there wouldn't
be so many questions about it.

The answer involves changing the file association stuff in windows. Go
to explorer, choose tools, then folder options. Click the File Types
tab. Scroll down to the XLS extension. Click the Advanced button.
Choose "open", then click the edit button.

At the end of the "Application used" entry, you'll probably see: /e
After this, add: "%1" (be sure to include the quotes.)

Then uncheck the "Use DDE" checkbox. Then click OK. (Windows re-checks
it at some point for some reason, but it still works)

OK your way out of the file types dialog.

Now when you double-click a spreadsheet, it will open it in a new
instance of Excel.

Hope it helps!

Dave

Jason Dove wrote:
[...]

Jason Dove

Thanks Dave,

The idea helps more with what I'm looking for with Excel. Ultimately, our
office would prefer to have Excel open separate windows from within Excel
itself.

I tried your suggestion. At first it didn't work, then I realized I needed a
space between /e "%1". It works now.

Thanks. This will help for now. Hopefully Microsoft will bring back
opening worksheets in separate windows.

Jason

Jason Dove wrote:
[...]

Richard Cook

Jason,

Here's how I get around the problem you describe.

For Excel files that I use regularly, I build a shortcut where under the
Shortcut tab, in the Target box, I place the filespec for the Excel
executable in quotes, for example:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE"

Then a space, and finally the filespec for the particular Excel file I wish
to open, for example:

"[filepath]\[filename]"

So, the full string in the Target box reads:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" "[filepath]\[filename]"

If my Excel file was named 'MyExcelFile.xls' and happened to be in the
'C:\Temp' folder, the Target box would read:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" "C:\Temp\MyExcelFile.xls"

With the shortcut configured in this manner, a new instance, i.e., a
completely new and separate Excel application, opens when I use this
shortcut, regardless of how many Excel files are currently open.

Hope this helps,

Richard Cook

"Jason Dove" wrote:

Prior to Windows 2003, when opening different excel files, the files would
open in their own Excel Programs windows. This feature still exists with
Word 2003, but I have not seen this feature in Excel.

Methods suggested to mimic this setting is to go to Tools - Options
"Windows in Taskbar" or "Ignore Other Applications" or Open Two Separate
Programs from the Start Menu. Also the Window - "Compare" method has been
suggested; however, I don't want to compare two different worksheets, I want
to have two separate worksheet programs open.

Is there a setting available so that each file of Excel that is opened can
be opened in its own Program Window? For Example, Tools - Options - View
"Open Files in Own Program Window"?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Jason Dove

Thanks for the information Richard.

The ultimate purpose of this suggestion is for Microsoft to take notice of
the comments and bring back the ability to open separate windows of excel
when opening a new or an existing file.

"Jason Dove" wrote:

Prior to Windows 2003, when opening different excel files, the files would
open in their own Excel Programs windows. This feature still exists with
Word 2003, but I have not seen this feature in Excel.

Methods suggested to mimic this setting is to go to Tools - Options
"Windows in Taskbar" or "Ignore Other Applications" or Open Two Separate
Programs from the Start Menu. Also the Window - "Compare" method has been
suggested; however, I don't want to compare two different worksheets, I want
to have two separate worksheet programs open.

Is there a setting available so that each file of Excel that is opened can
be opened in its own Program Window? For Example, Tools - Options - View
"Open Files in Own Program Window"?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paula

Jason I also work with multiple spreadsheets open and can't stand having them
stacked into one window. It is a pain to have to open new window each time
prior to opening a saved file. I remember there used to be an option to open
files in a new window or open files in an existing window. They need to put
that back so we can choose what works best without creating a work around.

"Jason Dove" wrote:

Prior to Windows 2003, when opening different excel files, the files would
open in their own Excel Programs windows. This feature still exists with
Word 2003, but I have not seen this feature in Excel.

Methods suggested to mimic this setting is to go to Tools - Options
"Windows in Taskbar" or "Ignore Other Applications" or Open Two Separate
Programs from the Start Menu. Also the Window - "Compare" method has been
suggested; however, I don't want to compare two different worksheets, I want
to have two separate worksheet programs open.

Is there a setting available so that each file of Excel that is opened can
be opened in its own Program Window? For Example, Tools - Options - View
"Open Files in Own Program Window"?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don S

"Jason Dove" wrote:

Prior to Windows 2003, when opening different excel files, the files would
open in their own Excel Programs windows. This feature still exists with
Word 2003, but I have not seen this feature in Excel.

Methods suggested to mimic this setting is to go to Tools - Options
"Windows in Taskbar" or "Ignore Other Applications" or Open Two Separate
Programs from the Start Menu. Also the Window - "Compare" method has been
suggested; however, I don't want to compare two different worksheets, I want
to have two separate worksheet programs open.

Is there a setting available so that each file of Excel that is opened can
be opened in its own Program Window? For Example, Tools - Options - View
"Open Files in Own Program Window"?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Would "Tools" "Options" "View" & check "Windows in Taskbar" get what
you want?

Don S
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Frank

Hi All in this issue

Is there anything new because I am faciing the same problem as Jason and has
tried to explain it in the same way but noones did understand, so I was
really happy that finally some did.

Will there be a change in excel for this feature in the future ??

Or do I have to make this small reprogramming ?

Kind regards
Frank

Jason Dove wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Weglian

"Don S" wrote:
Would "Tools" "Options" "View" & check "Windows in Taskbar" get what
you want?

Don S

I found this when I came to ask for the same functionality in Excel and in
PowerPoint. The option above makes it even less user friendly, as far as I
can tell. When you choose that option, you can't switch between worksheets
via the taskbar at all. What we want is to have two Excel spreadsheets open
at the same time so that you can see and use both at once. The above
suggestion to have Excel open a new instance works, but not if you open a new
spreadsheet from within Excel, itself. I want to be able to have 5 windows,
each with a separate worksheet, all of which I can see at once (or at least
enough to click to pull it to the front). I use two monitors, so it's easy
to be productive this way.

Excel on the Mac works this way, but I'm on a PC, now. I vote for changing
it on the PC!

-John Weglian
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KWA KWA is offline

Hi, I know that it is like 2 years back. I need to fix this now in order for
me to be able to use 2 screens to speed up my work.

My problem with regards to your instruction below:-

"Go to explorer, choose tools, then folder options. Click the File Types
tab. Scroll down to the XLS extension. Click the Advanced button. Choose
"open", then click the edit button"

What do you mean by 'explorer'? Internet explorer? I couldn't find anything
said above. Please advice.

Jason Dove wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi there, I know this is a really old post, but I'm hoping someone will read
this. I did what was suggested below, as I struggled with the same issue.
Only problem is that now I can't get rid of the %1. I added it in, and it
worked, but now everytime I open an excel, it tells me personal.xls is locked
for editing. The files still open fine, but it's annoying. I thought I
would just remove the "%1" and uncheck the "browse in same window" box that I
just noticed in the same dialog box. I've tried many times, but everytime I
whole thing, and browsing to the excel program, but it always puts the %1 in.
Any suggestions??

Jason Dove wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Thanks everyong for the ideas on this. The %1 works indeed but it is a
poor solution when you are running Excel 2007 on a notebok. I have a
Nov 2006 IBM with 1 GB RAM and it takes a while to load a new copy of
Excel 2007.

Another funny problem is that if you open 2 files in one copy of Excel
there are 3 Excel tabs if you use Alt+Tab for navigation. If you open
another 2 files in another copy of Excel, you get 6 Escel tabs via Alt
+Tab, which makes it virtually unusable.

If we don't talk about this issue and don't report to Microsoft, we
are going to "eat ..." forever.

The issues (in my opinion) that can help classify this behaviour as a
bug a

1) Inability to view 2 or more spreadsheets side by side (either on
one screen or on two screens).

2) Confusing behavior of the "Undo" feature. You are used to one
behavious in MS Word (separate list of undo items for each document),
and you have a completely different behaviour for MS Excel (single
undo list for all open documents).

Anyone know how this can be reported to the Excel team?

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Susie, I've ran into the same problem - not being able to get rid if
%1. I was able to fix it by removing the "open" action and creating it
again. Now all is OK.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The file association suggtion probably works -- but some people have had some
issues tyring to implement it. The bottom line is that you want two
instances of Excel running -- so just bring up another instance of excel from
the START menu. So, instead of inside Excel clicking File -- Open -- click
START outside of Excel, select Excel, then in the new Excel instance click
File -- Open. You can have each instance on separate monitors. That is the
way Microsoft designed it to work (not sure about older versions) -- and it
is unfortunate that this design is inconsistant with how Word windows it's
documents -- but that's life in the big city :} -Tom.

Jason Dove wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To avoid the confustion of alt-tab switching between Excel windows in
different Excel instances, turn off the Excel option "Windows in Taskbar"
(Tools-Options-ViewTab-WidnowsInTaskbar). Then use alt-tab to swtich
betwen Excel instances (as well as other applications), and within Excel use
Shift-F6 to switch between the windows within the Excel instance.