Junior Member

Default Comparing two columns with conditional formatting

Good day,

I am hoping someone can teach me how to make it so that I can make a conditional formatting formula that will check columns D and E to see if D2 and E2 both say completed make green, If one says Required and one says completed make yellow and if both are required make red. Leave anything blank without a colour.

I tried to research it, but could only find comparing numbers, which isn't the case.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you in advance.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Summers View Post
Good day,

I am hoping someone can teach me how to make it so that I can make a conditional formatting formula that will check columns D and E to see if D2 and E2 both say completed make green, If one says Required and one says completed make yellow and if both are required make red. Leave anything blank without a colour.

I tried to research it, but could only find comparing numbers, which isn't the case.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Jade,

This can be done without too much hassle. Which version of Excel are you using?

Also, when you say "one says required and one says completed", could EITHER of them say "required" or would that be a possible value in only one of the columns? I don't mean only one at a time so either or, I mean only one column could EVER say "required".

Hope that makes sense.... :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jade,

Am Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:19:57 +0000 schrieb Jade Summers:

I am hoping someone can teach me how to make it so that I can make a
conditional formatting formula that will check columns D and E to see if
D2 and E2 both say completed make green, If one says Required and one
says completed make yellow and if both are required make red. Leave
anything blank without a colour.

try:
first condition: =COUNTIF($D2:$E2,"required")=2 = color red
second condition: =COUNTIF($D2:$E2,"completed")=2 = color green
third condition:
=COUNTIF($D2:$E2,"completed")+COUNTIF($D2:$E2,"req uired")=2 = color
yellow

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jade,

Am Wed, 18 Jul 2012 22:25:56 +0200 schrieb Claus Busch:

third condition:
=COUNTIF($D2:$E2,"completed")+COUNTIF($D2:$E2,"req uired")=2 = color
yellow

better:
third condition:
=AND(COUNTIF($D2:$E2,"completed")=1,COUNTIF($D2:$E 2,"required")=1)
= color yellow

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Busch View Post
[...]

Thank you both so much, for the correct (and very quick) response! It is much appriciated. One less thing to think about this weekend! Have a wonderful day!