Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional formatting comparing two columns

Help! I need to create conditional formatting that highlights a cell, if the
value in column F is greater than the value in column B. How do I make that
work? Thanks!
--
Shelina
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

1. Select the cell/Range (say F1:F10). Please note that the cell reference F1
mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
will have a white background even after selection..
2. From menu FormatConditional Formatting
3. For Condition1Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
=F1B1

'To handle blank entries you can try the below formula
=AND(COUNT(F1,B1)=2,F1B1)

4. Click Format ButtonPattern and select your color (say Red)
5. Hit OK

PS: If you are using Excel 2007 Goto Home tabStylesConditional
FormattingManage rulesNew ruleUse a formula to determine which cells to
format

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Shelina" wrote:

Help! I need to create conditional formatting that highlights a cell, if the
value in column F is greater than the value in column B. How do I make that
work? Thanks!
--
Shelina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the range in column F, assume the first select cell is F2, then apply
conditional formatting, use formula is, then =F2B2, click the format
button, select patterns and choose high light colour then click OK Twice.
That would be for 2003 and earlier

For 2007 click the icon for cf, then select new rule, select use a formula
to determine which cells to format, put =F2B2 in the rule description, then
format button, select fill, then colour. As usual it is more steps involved
in the idiotic 2007

Peo Sjoblom

"Shelina" wrote in message
Help! I need to create conditional formatting that highlights a cell, if
the
value in column F is greater than the value in column B. How do I make
that
work? Thanks!
--
Shelina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your help.

I am using 2007. I did as you suggested and random cells were highlighted,
non of them were examples of =F1B1. I tested =B1F1 and the resulting
highlighted cells were all the cells which were not highlighted in =F1B1. Do
you have any idea what might be happening there?
--
Shelina

"Shelina" wrote:

Help! I need to create conditional formatting that highlights a cell, if the
value in column F is greater than the value in column B. How do I make that
work? Thanks!
--
Shelina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

--Make sure your selection is Range F1:F10. Please note that the cell
reference F1
mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
will have a white background even after selection..

--Copy paste the below formula
=AND(COUNT(F1,B1)=2,F1B1)

--Enter 1 in cell B1 and 2 in cell F1 (f1 should be highlighted)
--Enter 2 in cell B2 and 3 in cell F2 (f2 should be highlighted)
--Enter 2 in cell B3 and 1 in cell F3 (f3 will not be highlighted)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Shelina" wrote:

Help! I need to create conditional formatting that highlights a cell, if the
value in column F is greater than the value in column B. How do I make that
work? Thanks!
--
Shelina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have data validation going on in column B, which doesn't allow me to use
small numbers, so I added two columns to the table and did as you suggested.
The result was that all three cells were highlighted. Then, I added 4,5,6 to
three other cells in the first column (in this case, M) and 6,5,4 in the
adjoining cells in the second column (N). I used =N1M1. The result was that
the, in column N, containing 5 was highlighted.

I think there is something wrong with the table. I am working on a class
assignment and the table was created by the teacher, so I don't know what
might be going on there.
--
Shelina

"Shelina" wrote:

Help! I need to create conditional formatting that highlights a cell, if the
value in column F is greater than the value in column B. How do I make that
work? Thanks!
--
Shelina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions