Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default Conditional formatting comparing two columns

Try out in a new workbook

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Shelina" wrote:

I have data validation going on in column B, which doesn't allow me to use
small numbers, so I added two columns to the table and did as you suggested.
The result was that all three cells were highlighted. Then, I added 4,5,6 to
three other cells in the first column (in this case, M) and 6,5,4 in the
adjoining cells in the second column (N). I used =N1M1. The result was that
the, in column N, containing 5 was highlighted.

I think there is something wrong with the table. I am working on a class
assignment and the table was created by the teacher, so I don't know what
might be going on there.
--
Shelina

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

--Make sure your selection is Range F1:F10. Please note that the cell
reference F1
mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
will have a white background even after selection..

--Copy paste the below formula
=AND(COUNT(F1,B1)=2,F1B1)

--Enter 1 in cell B1 and 2 in cell F1 (f1 should be highlighted)
--Enter 2 in cell B2 and 3 in cell F2 (f2 should be highlighted)
--Enter 2 in cell B3 and 1 in cell F3 (f3 will not be highlighted)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Shelina" wrote:

Thanks for your help.

I am using 2007. I did as you suggested and random cells were highlighted,
non of them were examples of =F1B1. I tested =B1F1 and the resulting
highlighted cells were all the cells which were not highlighted in =F1B1. Do
you have any idea what might be happening there?
--
Shelina

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

1. Select the cell/Range (say F1:F10). Please note that the cell reference F1
mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
will have a white background even after selection..
2. From menu FormatConditional Formatting
3. For Condition1Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
=F1B1

'To handle blank entries you can try the below formula
=AND(COUNT(F1,B1)=2,F1B1)

4. Click Format ButtonPattern and select your color (say Red)
5. Hit OK

PS: If you are using Excel 2007 Goto Home tabStylesConditional
FormattingManage rulesNew ruleUse a formula to determine which cells to
format

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria

"Shelina" wrote:

Help! I need to create conditional formatting that highlights a cell, if the
value in column F is greater than the value in column B. How do I make that
work? Thanks!
--
Shelina