GeEf

Default Excel file opened as read-only, if saved by another user

I have two users defined in my XP system. Let'c call them "A" (admin) and "B".
If I save an excel file in the Shared Folder as user "A", then user B can
only open it as Read-only. However, if user B saves it, then user A has no
problem in open it as a read/write file.
It hasn't always been like this, in the past I had no problems in updating
this file regardless of how I logged in.

Why does this happen? Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be updated?
How can I correct it?

Rgds,
GeEf
Henry

GeEf,

Open the file, (either user) and look in the Share File applet.
You may see that user B is still logged into the program from an earlier
session.
It sometimes happens that a user isn't logged off (when they close the
program) over a network.
Log this "ghost" user off, close the file (no need to save if read only) and
reopen.
This should clear your problem.

Henry

"GeEf" wrote in message
I have two users defined in my XP system. Let'c call them "A" (admin) and
"B".
If I save an excel file in the Shared Folder as user "A", then user B can
only open it as Read-only. However, if user B saves it, then user A has no
problem in open it as a read/write file.
It hasn't always been like this, in the past I had no problems in updating
this file regardless of how I logged in.

Why does this happen? Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be
updated?
How can I correct it?

Rgds,
GeEf

GeEf

Thanks Henry.
However, my problem is for two user accounts on the same computer, not over
the network. I just made a small test again, where I created a new file and
saved and closed it as user A. Then I switched to user B and opened the
file, and it was opened as Read-only.
In fact, I realise now that it's not really an excel problem, as I just
noticed the same problem appears when I save a word document as user A. It
then becomes read-only for user B. It seems like whatever user A creates in
the Shared Documents folder can only be opened read-only by user B. However,
documents saved by user B can be opened normally by user A.
Note that user A is an admin account.

This problem appeared recently, and I don't understand why. In the past any
user could update the documents.
What could be the reason?
What do I need to do to fix it?

Rgds,