dihirod

Default selecting last entry

I have several cells reading data from a single cell - the last one in a
column - the value of which keeps changing as data is added. How do I ensure
that the several cells read only from the last entry in the column, and not
from older obsolete entries?

dihirod

Many thanks. I stupidly omiteed to add that the list of entries does not
comprise the entire column - only part of it (let's say C5 to c10) after
that, there's oodles of other things in the same column. I'd like to know how
to restrict the lookup to that small section.

"dihirod" wrote in message
I have several cells reading data from a single cell - the last one in a
column - the value of which keeps changing as data is added. How do I

ensure
that the several cells read only from the last entry in the column, and

not
from older obsolete entries?

dihirod

Many thanks. I tried this myself, but I got, and still get #N/A which I
understand is a MATCH error value. (The first one worked fine as described,
it returned the value from the bottom of the worksheet.) What am I doing
wrong with this one?

"dihirod" wrote in message
I have several cells reading data from a single cell - the last one in

column - the value of which keeps changing as data is added. How do I
ensure
that the several cells read only from the last entry in the column,

and
not
from older obsolete entries?

Bob Phillips

That sounds like you have all numbers or all text.

If all numbers, and always all numbers, use

=INDEX(C5:C10,MAX(MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,C5:C 10)))

If all text, and always all text, use

=INDEX(C5:C10,MAX(MATCH("ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ",C5: C10)))

If it could be both, but coul;d be all numbers or all text, use

=INDEX(C5:C10,MAX(IF(ISERROR(MATCH({"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZ"},C5:C10)),MATCH(9
..99999999999999E+307,C5:C10),IF(ISERROR(LOOKUP(9. 99999999999999E+307,C5:C10)
),MATCH("ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ",C5:C10),MATCH({"ZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ",9.99999
999999999E+307},C5:C10)))))

--

HTH

RP

"dihirod" wrote in message
I have several cells reading data from a single cell - the last

one in
column - the value of which keeps changing as data is added. How

do I
ensure
that the several cells read only from the last entry in the

column,
and
not
from older obsolete entries?

Aladin Akyurek

If you want to retieve the last numeric value from C5:C10, invoke:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,$C$5:$C$10)

If you want to retieve the last text value from C5:C10, invoke:

=LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),$C$5:$C$10)

The latter will fetch a formula-blank (created by, say, someting like
="") if this text value is the last entry.

"dihirod" wrote in message

I have several cells reading data from a single cell - the last one in a
column - the value of which keeps changing as data is added. How do I

ensure

that the several cells read only from the last entry in the column, and

not

from older obsolete entries?

--

[1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
their Excel numeric equivalents.
Ragdyer

You could try this for *either* text or numbers:

=LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(C5:C10)),C5:C10)

--
HTH,

RD

"dihirod" wrote in message
Perfect! many many thanks.

)

"dihirod" wrote in message
I have several cells reading data from a single cell - the

last
one in
column - the value of which keeps changing as data is added.

How
do I
ensure
that the several cells read only from the last entry in the

column,
and
not
from older obsolete entries?

Aladin Akyurek

Ragdyer wrote:
You could try this for *either* text or numbers:

=LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(C5:C10)),C5:C10)

That means: Return any last entry from C5:C10.

Ragdyer

Exactly !
Isn't that what was asked for ... in the OP ... and in the subject line?<g

Isn't an error return from a formula just as valid a response as a "1" or an
"A"?
As long as the error is *not* caused by the "checking" formula *itself*!

And of course, the magic word in my suggestion was "try", since the OP is
the final judge as to the functionality and validity of any submitted
suggestion.

BUT, I must admit that you do perhaps have a point, in that it would have
been better practice on my part to "advise" that *all* formula returns,
values as well as errors, will be displayed by my suggestion, as well as
*all* keyed in entries.

RD

RD