Steve Jones

Default Data Validation / Cell Entry

Hi

Is there a way I can force a user to make an entry in a cell without using
macros/code?

EG:
If the result of cell A1 = "XYZ" can I force them to make an entry in cell
B1. ( If cell A1 = "" then no entry is required in B1).

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Steve

Dave Peterson

This won't force the user, but it will make it obvious.

Format C1 in nice bold red letters and put a formula in that cell like:

=if(and(a1="",b1<""),"Please clear B1",if(a1="xyz",b1=""),
"please put something in B1","")
(all one cell)

If xyz just meant anything (not blank), then:
=IF(AND(A1="",B1<""),"Please clear B1",IF(AND(A1<"",B1=""),
"please put something in B1",""))

--

Dave Peterson
JulieD

Hi Steve

i can't think of anyway to achieve this without using code .. any reason why
you don't want to go down that path?

Cheers
JulieD

"Steve Jones" wrote in message
Hi

Is there a way I can force a user to make an entry in a cell without using
macros/code?

EG:
If the result of cell A1 = "XYZ" can I force them to make an entry in cell
B1. ( If cell A1 = "" then no entry is required in B1).

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Steve

Jason Morin

AFAIK, no. But you can black out the rest of the sheet
through conditional formatting and really annoy the user:

1. Select the range on your worksheet that the individual
needs to see / work with etc.
2. Go to Format Conditional Formatting
3. Select "Formula Is" and put:
=AND($A$1="XYZ",$B$1="")
4. Click on the Format radio button and format the
pattern as black.
5. Put this formula in C1:
=IF(AND(A1="XYZ",B1=""),"Please Fill In B1","")
6. Format the font white in C1.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA