Sonnie

Default excel links

I have links in my workbook to a field (containing text) in another excel
workbook. If both my destination and source files are both open - the link
works. If only my destination file is open, I only get part of the value of
the linked field. (I'm running Excel 2003). Any suggestions on how I can
have this link function properly, without having to have both workbooks open?

Dave Peterson

You have long text in that link--over 255 characters.

That's the way excel works. You'll have to open the "sending" workbook to get
all the characters.

===
Can you split the cell in that "sending" workbook (no more than 255 characters
each) and retrieve it in pieces?

--

Dave Peterson
Sonnie

Dave:

Thanks for responding to my question. Even though your response answered my
question, it doesn't seem to help to split the cell. The cell split works in
the "sending" workbook, but it all still doesn't appear in the destination
workbook. I'm stumped. Maybe what I'm trying to do cannot be done due to
Excel limitations.

Thanks anyway, and have a great day.

Sonnie wrote:

I have links in my workbook to a field (containing text) in another excel
workbook. If both my destination and source files are both open - the link
works. If only my destination file is open, I only get part of the value of
the linked field. (I'm running Excel 2003). Any suggestions on how I can
have this link function properly, without having to have both workbooks open?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I meant split the text in the large cell into multiple cells--each with less
than 255 characters.

Then use multiple cells to retrieve each cell's contents.

Then use one more cell to concatenate all the text into one cell:

For instance:
in one cell (say a1):
='C:\my documents\excel\[book2.xls]Sheet1'!A2
in another (say a2)
='C:\my documents\excel\[book2.xls]Sheet1'!A3
in another (say a3)
='C:\my documents\excel\[book2.xls]Sheet1'!A4
etc.

Then in another cell (say b1)
=a1&" "&a2&" "&a3

Sonnie wrote:

I have links in my workbook to a field (containing text) in another excel
workbook. If both my destination and source files are both open - the link
works. If only my destination file is open, I only get part of the value of
the linked field. (I'm running Excel 2003). Any suggestions on how I can
have this link function properly, without having to have both workbooks open?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Sonnie

Dave:

I (along with the assistance of another Excel user in my department)
understood what you meant after my original response to you earlier today--I
apologize, I just haven't had time to respond to you sooner. We did exactly
what you just advised me to do in your most recent correspondence. Thanks so
much for all your help. You were the only source that helped me. Not even
my company's own Help Desk knew what I was talking about, let alone attempt
to help me.

In the future if I have an Excel question, I'll look you up.

Have a great day.

Sonnie wrote:

I have links in my workbook to a field (containing text) in another excel
workbook. If both my destination and source files are both open - the link
works. If only my destination file is open, I only get part of the value of
the linked field. (I'm running Excel 2003). Any suggestions on how I can
have this link function properly, without having to have both workbooks open?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Google is very helpful, too.

And if you post questions to the newsgroups, you'll get lots of volunteers to
help out--not just your help desk or me!