michaeltan

Default how to convert a html page to excel format ?

I tried to cut and paste and the format becomes disorganised. Moreover,
when I copied the picture, it transferred into a cell. Is there any
shareware or aid available that helps in this aspect. URGENT ....

--
michaeltan
michaeltan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25592

Jon Peltier

You could try File - Open, and enter the URL in the filename box.
Depending on your version of Excel, it might work well enough.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

michaeltan wrote:

I tried to cut and paste and the format becomes disorganised. Moreover,
when I copied the picture, it transferred into a cell. Is there any
shareware or aid available that helps in this aspect. URGENT ....

David McRitchie

and for the picture did you want it or not.

If you want to get rid of the picture it is a shape and you
and delete shapes by their type or by the location of the
upper left corner as examples of what you might do.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shapes.htm

such as the macro on that page delShapesSel

disorganized is probably not a good description, but for the
moment will assume you will get what you want from Jon's reply.
--
HTH,

michaeltan wrote:

I tried to cut and paste and the format becomes disorganised. Moreover,
when I copied the picture, it transferred into a cell. Is there any
shareware or aid available that helps in this aspect. URGENT ....

michaeltan

No, I have not get the problem resolved. I certainly would appreciate if
you can help to convert existing html to excel.
http://147.202.45.242/~calscan/intra...int.php?LID=33

--
michaeltan
michaeltan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25592
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390117

David McRitchie

HI Michael,
Please explain messed up. I opened the file in Excel 2000 (file, open) as Jon
suggested and it it looks fine in Excel. In fact if you will notice in the
HTML there are rows that do not line up, yet Excel lined those rows
up -- like the stuff under "Packing Specifications" does not originally
line up with content to the left and I was very much surprised that
something that looks independently formatted would appear on
same rows.

You could make some changes like the following, you probably won't
like the results as far as readability goes because of the merged cells.

format, cells, alignment, vertical: top (Excel defaults to bottom)

select numeric cells -- Ctrl+A, Edit, go to (Ctr+G), Special, Constants + Numbers
then on the Excel toolbars click on the Centered format to unselect it.

select numeric cells -- Ctrl+A, Edit, go to (Ctr+G), Special, Constants + Text
then on the Excel toolbars click on the Centered format to unselect it.

Because of merged cells you find some of your numbers way far to the
right

HTH,

"michaeltan" wrote in message

No, I have not get the problem resolved. I certainly would appreciate if
you can help to convert existing html to excel.
http://147.202.45.242/~calscan/intra...int.php?LID=33

michaeltan

After converting as per Jon's instruction, the column widths are all
different, rows 2 to 10 are redundant while height of row 1 has to be
increased. Pictures have to be re-sized.

This is almost a standard format that I would have to convert from html
to excel (so as to facilitate changes to the data); and it would be very
unproductive to do all these adjustments of widths and heights of cells
and pictures. Can the html file be opened and placed on a "template"
such that the adjustments are made once and for all ?

Thank you very much for your help !!!

--
michaeltan
michaeltan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25592
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390117

David McRitchie

Hi Michael,
With Excel 2000, I get overlapping rows in the rows 2 - 10 area
that you might be redundant, but for fitting something that is not
an Excel spreadsheet onto a spreadsheet, it sure looked like a
good job. Of course when I did it, the first thing I did was get
rid of the pictures and logos, guess they are important to you.

Did you try recording a macro as you fix things up to your liking.

After making changes to the data, you aren't planning to make it
HTML again are you?
---
HTH,

"michaeltan" wrote in message

After converting as per Jon's instruction, the column widths are all
different, rows 2 to 10 are redundant while height of row 1 has to be
increased. Pictures have to be re-sized.

This is almost a standard format that I would have to convert from html
to excel (so as to facilitate changes to the data); and it would be very
unproductive to do all these adjustments of widths and heights of cells
and pictures. Can the html file be opened and placed on a "template"
such that the adjustments are made once and for all ?

Thank you very much for your help !!!

--
michaeltan
michaeltan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25592
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390117

michaeltan

Thanks David,

I greatly appreciate your comments and assistance. I did convert it to
xls and after adjusting/deleting columns and rows, the excel version
looks good. I'm not familiar with macro; as I said I need to convert
similar html files to excel format ... for many of these data sheets.
And it will be very unproductive to adjust everyone of them.

Does a marco solves this problem ?

Do you have a email address which I can send my excel file (after
conversion and re-adjustment) ?

Yes, my intention to convert to excel is to enable me to make changes
to figures easily and I'm not converting it back to html.

Once again, thank you !

--
michaeltan
michaeltan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25592
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390117

David McRitchie

Hi Michael,
I don't know how much the other files will resemble that one or
exactly what you did to fix the one you have, but if they are the
same size pictures and formats you might be able to use the
recorded macro.

To record a macro Tools, Macro, record
but take a look at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm

You start the macro recorder than you make your manual
changes to the Excel file. You stop the macro recorder when it
looks good.

Then you can try your macro (Macro1 if you never recorded one before)
on another file opened in Excel. You will find your macro with Alt+F8
when you want to run it.

My email address is on every posting, and "email comments" appears
at the bottom of all of my webpages.
---
[...]

michaeltan

Dear David,

I will try the marco. Once again, thank you. Will post in here again if
i encounter problems.