FattyLumpkin

Default Pasting in Rows?

Hi. Would anyone be so kind as to enlighten me about a simple pasting
procedure in excel? I have a list (which I copied from a vertical
column) that I want to paste into a horizontal row in Excel. I just
don’t see an option for this and the data gets put in vertically. There
are hundreds of cells to paste so I’m hopeful that someone with more
experience can shed some light on the situation. I had the same problem
with Access.

FattyLumpkin
FattyLumpkin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25530
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389649

Piranha

FattyLumpkin,
After you copy your vertical data go to the cell you want the new data
to start.
Then "right" click an "Paste Special"
Click "Transpose" and OK.
This help?
Dave

FattyLumpkin Wrote:
Hi. Would anyone be so kind as to enlighten me about a simple pasting
procedure in excel? I have a list (which I copied from a vertical
column) that I want to paste into a horizontal row in Excel. I just
don’t see an option for this and the data gets put in vertically. There
are hundreds of cells to paste so I’m hopeful that someone with more
experience can shed some light on the situation. I had the same problem
with Access.

Piranha
Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20435
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389649

FattyLumpkin

Piranha, unfortunately there is no option to transpose. I get an option
for unicode or text. I'm probably overlooking something....

--
FattyLumpkin
FattyLumpkin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25530
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389649

Piranha

FattyLumpkin,

You are not copying and pasting this from Excell are you. Copying from
another
application and then pasting into Excel??

Dave

FattyLumpkin Wrote:
Piranha, unfortunately there is no option to transpose. I get an option
for unicode or text. I'm probably overlooking something....

--
Piranha
Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20435
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389649

Paul Sheppard

If pasting from another application, paste into Excel first as a column
and then do what pirhana suggested

--
Paul Sheppard
Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783

FattyLumpkin

Ok, sorry....I should have mentioned that I'm trying to copy a list from
another source. What you're telling me to do now makes perfect sense but
it does not want to past w/ the transpose because the number of cells is
not the same size/shape. I don't see a way to count this and there are
currently 573 cells to paste.

Sorry, I'm sure this is pretty basic stuff.

--
FattyLumpkin
FattyLumpkin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25530
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389649

Ragdyer

Do you realize that XL has only 256 columns?

So, that means that you should copy *only* the first 256 rows, THEN
"PasteSpecial" and "Transpose" to a row.

Then do the copy *again*, with the next 256 rows, and transpose to the next
adjoining row.

And then finish off with the remaining 61 rows of data.
--
HTH,

RD

news:FattyLumpkin.1soiyb_1122217501.4363@excelforu m-nospam.com...