lee6553

Default Complicated Challenge

I am trying to set up a point violation spreadsheet. On my code sheet I
have in column A, letter codes, then in B is the violation and in C is
the point value and column d is the number of months the violation
stays on record. On my violation sheet, Column a is name, then b is
where I would enter the letter code from code sheet and then column c
is the date of the violation. The b & c columns are repeated in d&e,
f&g.... until column Z where that represents the total of all points.

I want to be able to enter on the violation sheet a code letter in
column b, d, f date of violation in c, e, g and then in column z I want
it to add the points that are assigned from the code sheet.

The other challenge is the points stay on their violation record for
so many months. So for instance if I enter code letter X it looks at
column d on the code sheet and sees it stays on the record for 36
months. So if a violation date entered in column c, e or g it would
need to lose 1/36 of the value from todays date and keep a running
total in column z on the violation sheet.

I'm not sure how or where to begin on this project (functions or
programming) or if it is possible so any help would be greatly
appreciated. I want to thank you in advance for your knowledge and
help.
Thanks
Michelle

--
lee6553
lee6553's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15538

Earl Kiosterud

Michelle,

This will be fairly straightforward, actually. You're trying to do an
application that'd be easier in Access than in Excel, but so far, it won't
be too involved. But as you add requirements, that will change a bit.

You were doing fine until you wanted to repeat columns B and C several times
in the violations sheet. This causes problems, because sooner or later
someone comes along who accrues more violations than you have room for.
Then the very people who've accrued so many violations go around proudly
telling EVERYONE that the system couldn't keep track of all their missteps.
You're trying to mix a names table (one record per name) with a violations
table (one record per violation). I suggest you change the Violations sheet
to look like this: (If your newsreader isn't set up to display with a
non-proportional font like Courier, these columns won't line up well):

Name Code Date Effective Points
John A 1/1/2005 (formula)
Sally D 4/1/2005 (formula)
John C 2/23/2005 (formula)

etc.

This is a violations table, not a name table. One record per violation.
You'll find this database approach much more usable as you develop new
requirements (and they'll come along) for this project. The Effective
Points column would have a forumula to calculate the current points, based
on the duration from the Code sheet and the current date. It will involve
some VLOOKUPs and some DATEDIFs and stuff. I didn't develop such a formula
yet. You apparently want the points at the current date to devalue linearly
by month as the violation gets older, right? Pro-rated points. Weighted
points. Not just keep the total points, then drop off completely at the end
of the period for that violation, as is more usual (I think). Which?

Now for a total of points by name, do either a Pivot Table to summarize
them, or sort the violations table by name (so each like name is grouped),
then do Data - Subtotals.

With this approach, you could also easily make a detailed summary of any
given name's violations, which could (using VLOOKUP) list the description of
the violation, duration, current points, etc. in each violation item. It
could also total up the effective (weighted) points. Then you print it and
hand it to the perp, and look real disgusted. :)
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"lee6553" wrote in
message ...

[...]

lee6553

Earl,
Thank you for pointing out I am going to run into problems with the way
I am trying to set it up. Can you explain how Access would be better
suited for this? Oh maybe I should tell you that the managers that
will be looking at these violation points have to have a simple format
so they can just either look up a name or employee number and just look
basically at total points to see who is a bigger risk at getting in or
causing an accident.

Yes I do want the points to devalue by month as the violation gets
older so what is the best way to accomplish that?

But I did enjoy the remark of adding the points up and just looking at
him disgusted...I'll be sure to pass that one onto the safety
managers.

Thanks again for your help in this problem and wondering if this really
going to work.
Michelle

--
lee6553
lee6553's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15538
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=387737

Earl Kiosterud

Michelle,

The solution I described wouldn't be good for end users because it requires
some steps be performed each time you want to get the total points for a
perp. Yours would be easier, but suffers from the limit of violations it
can hold. If you're willing do dig deeper into Excel, the steps of my
solution could be automated with a macro, so the user need only indicate
which perp is desired, then click a button to run the macro. Or the macro
could prepare a list of all the perp's points.

The Access solution can be made extremely easy for the user, but learning
Access probably isn't as easy as learning Excel, though after you do, it's
impressive what you can do with it with relatively little effort.

So, I think, the Access/Excel decision rests largely on the importance of
this application (is it worth having to learn Access or is there someone in
the organization who could and would do it, or pay someone to get this
done), and do the users have Access in the first place?
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"lee6553" wrote in
message ...

[...]

lee6553

Earl,
I have been given more information - you know how these projects start
out...

I am going to be the keeper of the information (setting up, gathering,
tracking, etc.) whether it be in Excel or Access and I have knowledge
(not extensive but understand macros, functions, queries and so forth)
with both programs. I am just going to provide the managers with a
list of the highest perps. I do need help with getting it setup though
and of course after they meet with the sample, I'm sure it may
explode....
Thanks
Michelle

--
lee6553
lee6553's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15538
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=387737

Earl Kiosterud

Michelle,

I have been given more information - you know how these projects start
out...

Tolja!

Since you'll be preparing the reports (not the doofuss managers who'll get
them), we'll go with the Excel solution.

Sheet "Codes":

Code Violation Point Value Duration
A finger 1 3
B Pick nose 3 4
C Run light 2 5
D Vote Republican 4 6

etc.

The duration is the period of the violation in months. After the duration
has passed, the point value will have depreciated to zero.

A range name "Violations" must be defined (Insert - Name - Define). I've
defined it as referring to A2:D65536 in the Codes sheet.

Sheet "Violations":

If your newsreader or browser isn't using a non-proportional font like
Courier, this won't line up well.

A B C D
1 Name Code Date Aged points
2 John A 1/19/05 (formula)
3 John C 2/20/05 (formula)
4 Mary B 3/20/05 (formula)
5 John A etc.

the (formula) cell in D2:

=MAX(0,VLOOKUP(B2,Violations,4,FALSE)-DATEDIF(C2,NOW(),"m"))/VLOOKUP(B2,Violations,4,FALSE)*VLOOKUP(B2,Violatio ns,3,FALSE)

It's a bit of a nighmare. You can copy/paste it from this post (remove the
line spaces). I developed it in separate cells, then combined them. Copy
it down with the Fill Handle.

It should calculate the aged points as of the current date. Press F9 to
ensure that it's done a fresh calculation for today's date. Once it's
providing the correct aged points, sort the table on the name column (to get
like names grouped). Data - Subtotal, Each change in: Name, Subtotal: Aged
points. This will give a detail list, with group totals. You can click the
little 2 at the top of the outline symbols at left to collapse it to show
only totals by name. It will print however you have it looking at the time.

You can remove the subtotals with Data - Subtotals - Remove. You can add
records at the bottom of the list, then sort again when you're ready for
another report.

Thanks again for your help in this problem and wondering if this really
going to work.

Oh, ye of ...
[...]

lee6553

Earl,
My faith has been restored...thank you and just in time - life can go
on now...It works wonderfully! At least until tomorrow when they say
yeah but can such and such be added or they change something totally
different. I will be sure to give credit where it is due - to you and
your great knowledge! Thanks again so much!
Michelle