Earl Kiosterud

Michelle,

The solution I described wouldn't be good for end users because it requires
some steps be performed each time you want to get the total points for a
perp. Yours would be easier, but suffers from the limit of violations it
can hold. If you're willing do dig deeper into Excel, the steps of my
solution could be automated with a macro, so the user need only indicate
which perp is desired, then click a button to run the macro. Or the macro
could prepare a list of all the perp's points.

The Access solution can be made extremely easy for the user, but learning
Access probably isn't as easy as learning Excel, though after you do, it's
impressive what you can do with it with relatively little effort.

So, I think, the Access/Excel decision rests largely on the importance of
this application (is it worth having to learn Access or is there someone in
the organization who could and would do it, or pay someone to get this
done), and do the users have Access in the first place?
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"lee6553" wrote in
message ...

Earl,
Thank you for pointing out I am going to run into problems with the way
I am trying to set it up. Can you explain how Access would be better
suited for this? Oh maybe I should tell you that the managers that
will be looking at these violation points have to have a simple format
so they can just either look up a name or employee number and just look
basically at total points to see who is a bigger risk at getting in or
causing an accident.

Yes I do want the points to devalue by month as the violation gets
older so what is the best way to accomplish that?

But I did enjoy the remark of adding the points up and just looking at
him disgusted...I'll be sure to pass that one onto the safety
managers.

Thanks again for your help in this problem and wondering if this really
going to work.
Michelle

--
lee6553