Kent

Default Is my copy of Excel corrupt?

I have 10 sheets in my workbook. One sheet is constantly crashing and
causing Excel to close while saving a copy for Microsoft. The sheet
crashes when I copy a row and then use the Insert Copied Cells command
to add a row. I have the same problem when I use the Insert Rows
command. I only have this problem with one sheet. I can successfully
add rows to the other sheets without any problems.
Has any body else ever had this problem with Excel? Do I have a corrupt
copy of Excel? Could any add-ins or formulas cause this problem?
Excel 2002 SP3.
Windows 2000 Version 5 SP4.

Kent

Kent's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5339
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=379510

Dave Peterson

Could be....

I'd try opening excel in safe mode.

close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe

file|open your workbook

does it have problems then?

More things to check...
Maybe it's the file that holds the toolbar customizations that's damaged.

Close excel
windows start button|search (or find)
*.xlb
(Look for hidden files in hidden folders, too)

Rename all of them to *.xlbOLD.

Start excel normally and see if it works ok.

If yes, then dump those *.xlbOLD files and customize your toolbar at your
leisure.

If there's still problems, then close excel and rename the *.xlbOLD files back
to *.xlb (no harm, no foul!).

And one more thing, close excel and clean up your windows Temp folder.

Windows start button|Run
%temp%
is a quick way to get there.

If you want to read more...

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors at:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes at:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

========

Maybe opening and saving in openoffice would help fix it.
(http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services. I've
never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
carleaston

I mayself have just experienced this EXACT problem.
I have also duplicated the problem on different machines running
separate copies of Excel (Win XP Pro).
I have furhter isolated my case to ONLY when I COPY the top row of
ablock of contmnous cells and want to INSERT COPIED CELLS below the top
row of that group.
Any row beneath the top row works fine.
So still not solution.

..............Carl easton