K_O_L

Default Negative numbers

I am about to do a cash flow for a business plan. To calculate the
amount I would need to loan from a bank, I have a row with automated
cells calculating the expenses for each month I will have that would
need to be payed for. But, the nature of math plays a trick on me the
moment I break even. Cause all of the sudden I need to loan a negative
amount from the bank, which brings me to my question.
Is there a possibility to specify a cell to display ZERO when the
actual number in the cell is negative?
Fairly straight forward task, it should be possible!

Thank you for all your help!

--
K_O_L
K_O_L's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24282

mangesh_yadav

Suppose you want to evaluate / use the value in A1, then
=IF(A1<0,0,A1)

Mangesh

--
mangesh_yadav
mangesh_yadav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10470

Bob Phillips

Try setting the negative portion of a custom format to \0, such as
General;\0

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"K_O_L" wrote in
message ...

I am about to do a cash flow for a business plan. To calculate the
amount I would need to loan from a bank, I have a row with automated
cells calculating the expenses for each month I will have that would
need to be payed for. But, the nature of math plays a trick on me the
moment I break even. Cause all of the sudden I need to loan a negative
amount from the bank, which brings me to my question.
Is there a possibility to specify a cell to display ZERO when the
actual number in the cell is negative?
Fairly straight forward task, it should be possible!

Thank you for all your help!

--
K_O_L
K_O_L's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=378933

bj

=max(0,your equation) for a zero value in the cell

It depends on what dependencies you have on this cell whether it is better
to have a zero for the value of the cell or the actual negative number behind
a zero.

"K_O_L" wrote:

I am about to do a cash flow for a business plan. To calculate the
amount I would need to loan from a bank, I have a row with automated
cells calculating the expenses for each month I will have that would
need to be payed for. But, the nature of math plays a trick on me the
moment I break even. Cause all of the sudden I need to loan a negative
amount from the bank, which brings me to my question.
Is there a possibility to specify a cell to display ZERO when the
actual number in the cell is negative?
Fairly straight forward task, it should be possible!

Thank you for all your help!

--
K_O_L
K_O_L's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24282
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=378933

CLR

Assuming the cells you're concerned with contain formulas, if you want the
actual result to be converted to zero for any further calculations, you
could wrap your formula in an IF statement, like.........

=IF(YourFormula<0,0,YourFormula)

This will result in zero for any otherwise negative return from
"YourFormula".

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"K_O_L" wrote in
message ...

I am about to do a cash flow for a business plan. To calculate the
amount I would need to loan from a bank, I have a row with automated
cells calculating the expenses for each month I will have that would
need to be payed for. But, the nature of math plays a trick on me the
moment I break even. Cause all of the sudden I need to loan a negative
amount from the bank, which brings me to my question.
Is there a possibility to specify a cell to display ZERO when the
actual number in the cell is negative?
Fairly straight forward task, it should be possible!

Thank you for all your help!

--
K_O_L
K_O_L's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=378933

Jim May

There is also the =Ceiling(a1-a2,0) formula route
which will literally change your cell value to the number 0.
Use carefully;
HTH

"K_O_L" wrote in
message ...