PeterM

Default Trying to delete form border, and it deletes all borders

I made a form with several individual areas that have borders. At the end I
decided to try a border around the whole form. Now that I don't like it, I
was trying to delete the form border, but it deletes all the borders in the
form as well. How can I just delete the border around the form and not the
rest of the individual borders? I'm actually on a different computer,
because of the printing, will I be able to undo my way out of it maybe, or
do I have to be on the computer where I made the form. One more question,
will the form retain the undo feature for ever, or will it stop at one point
or another? Many thanks in advance.........Peter

Dave Peterson

Is this a form that you put on a worksheet?

If yes, select that entire range that has the outside most border.
format|cells|Border tab
Click on the top, bottom and two sides to remove the outermost border.

Undo has a limit of 16 actions, but it's resizable by tweaking a registry
setting.

xl2k and above
XL: How to Modify the Number of Undo Levels
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211922

xl97
XL97: How to Modify the Number of Undo Levels
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=162944

The bad news is that that undo stack gets clobbered by lots of things--running
most macros or even doing a save will kill it.

I try to save right before I'm gonna start experimenting.

--

Dave Peterson
Debra Dalgleish

Select the entire form
Choose FormatCells
Select the Border tab
In the Border section, click on each of the outside borders,
to remove it.
Click OK

The Undo feature won't be retained forever. By default, Excel will
remember 16 Undo actions. However, those can be deleted by saving the
file, or by using commands such as Remove Subtotals or adding an AutoFilter.

PeterM wrote:
I made a form with several individual areas that have borders. At the
end I decided to try a border around the whole form. Now that I don't
like it, I was trying to delete the form border, but it deletes all the
borders in the form as well. How can I just delete the border around the
form and not the rest of the individual borders? I'm actually on a
different computer, because of the printing, will I be able to undo my
way out of it maybe, or do I have to be on the computer where I made the
form. One more question, will the form retain the undo feature for ever,
or will it stop at one point or another? Many thanks in
advance.........Peter

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Tom Ogilvy

Undo only works in a single session of excel. The undo history is not
stored in the workbook. Also, even within a session, the undo history can
become cleared. The "depth" of undo can be set with a registry setting as
I recall (believe the default is 16 actions).

each cell has a border property. a large border such as you described is
just attained by going through each cell in the selected border area and
setting the appropriate border. If you want to clear the larger boarder,
you will have to go to each cell where you don't want a boarder and turn
that border off. This is best done in Cells=Format=Border Tab where you
have more control of the individual borders in a cell. As you have learned,
it is much easier to add multiple borders than to remove them.

Tom Ogilvy

"PeterM" wrote in message
I made a form with several individual areas that have borders. At the end

decided to try a border around the whole form. Now that I don't like it, I
was trying to delete the form border, but it deletes all the borders in

the
form as well. How can I just delete the border around the form and not the
rest of the individual borders? I'm actually on a different computer,
because of the printing, will I be able to undo my way out of it maybe, or
do I have to be on the computer where I made the form. One more question,
will the form retain the undo feature for ever, or will it stop at one

point
or another? Many thanks in advance.........Peter

Tom Ogilvy

If there is no overlap betseen your internal borders and the border around,
just delete each side of the border as an individual step. Select the cells
associated with that side, then do Format=Cells=Border and click on the
appropriate border to toggle the border off.

Tom Ogilvy

"PeterM" wrote in message
I made a form with several individual areas that have borders. At the

end
decided to try a border around the whole form. Now that I don't like it,

was trying to delete the form border, but it deletes all the borders in

the
form as well. How can I just delete the border around the form and not

the
rest of the individual borders? I'm actually on a different computer,
because of the printing, will I be able to undo my way out of it maybe,

or
do I have to be on the computer where I made the form. One more

question,
will the form retain the undo feature for ever, or will it stop at one

point
or another? Many thanks in advance.........Peter

PeterM

Happy New-Year to all of you, and thanks for the answers to all of you as
well. It worked of course. I have another question. I made a border around
several cells, and put the word serial number in the top most left corner.
If I like to move this box, how do I make it a movable box, by just
grabbing it and moving it, and how can I keep the writing in that left top
corner. I tried different things, like combining the cells. (I know it is
not the right syntax) when I combined the cells the writing went some other
place, and I could not find the place to click for the writing to be on the
top left. Would you help me again please..........Grandpa.............Peter

"PeterM" wrote in message
I made a form with several individual areas that have borders. At the

end
decided to try a border around the whole form. Now that I don't like
it,

was trying to delete the form border, but it deletes all the borders in

the
form as well. How can I just delete the border around the form and not

the
rest of the individual borders? I'm actually on a different computer,
because of the printing, will I be able to undo my way out of it maybe,

or
do I have to be on the computer where I made the form. One more

question,
will the form retain the undo feature for ever, or will it stop at one

point
or another? Many thanks in advance.........Peter

Ragdyer

When you say:
<"I made a border around several cells"
Just exactly what "set-up" do you mean?

Are they in a single row, across columns - D10:G10
Or a single column, down some rows - D10:D13
Or a combination D10:G13 ?

Depending on the configuration of your selected cells, there are different
procedures that you could perform to display differing results.

If you used (selected) D10:G13 for example,
Surrounded it with a border,
And maybe added a pattern color of White or Lt.Blue,
You wouldn't see any of the grid lines within the selection,
And you could enter your text in D10, to have it displayed in the top left
corner.

As far as moving it:
Just select the entire "box" (D10:G13),
And then hover the cursor just outside any one of the borders until the
cursor changes to an arrow.
Then, simply click and drag the entire "box" to whatever location you wish.

You could also *name* this selection, so that it could be more easily
selected.
Select D10:G13, and click in the "name box", which is just to the left of
the formula window.
Type in a short name, such as "box" (no quotes), and hit <Enter.

You could then click the name in the name box, and have the box selected,
where you could easily drag it to wherever.
--
HTH,

RD

"PeterM" wrote in message
[...]

PeterM

Many thanks for your kind help RD...........I used the combination for
example D10:G13
and after your helpful explanation was able to follow your advise and move
the selected area w/o any problems.
I'm also able to use the "name box" with your kind help. How do I delete a
wrong name from that area?
You sure made my day with this help. I wish there was a book I can buy for
just form making....Have a Happy New Year...............Peter

When you say:

"PeterM" wrote in message
[...]

Ragdyer

Thanks for the feed-back.

For your other concerns,
To delete any unwanted names, go to:
<Insert <Name <Define
And simply select the name in the window and click on <Delete.

As far as creating forms, here's an old post that might help a little, with
some start-up basics:

http://tinyurl.com/6w2mj

--
HTH,

RD

"PeterM" wrote in message
Many thanks for your kind help RD...........I used the combination for
example D10:G13
and after your helpful explanation was able to follow your advise and move
the selected area w/o any problems.
I'm also able to use the "name box" with your kind help. How do I delete a
wrong name from that area?
You sure made my day with this help. I wish there was a book I can buy for
just form making....Have a Happy New Year...............Peter

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
When you say:
[...]

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-

"PeterM" wrote in message
[...]

PeterM

Hello RD again, for me, this was the best information I ever received for
what I like to do most of the time, unfortunately it is quite complicated
for an old man. I appreciate you a lot RD. I'm beginning to have fun at
this. I promise I will read more. I have a couple of problems, I can't get
the "grid look" when I click on my new icon on the tool menu, (thanks to
you) all I get is a blank sheet, in other words, the gridlines disappear. Is
that the way it suppose to look? I probably am doing something wrong. I also
can't find the procedure for the "CenterAcrossSelection" is that also on the
toolbar somewhere? Sorry for all the questions, but I promise after this I
will not ask anymore. Many many thanks RD.............Peter

"PeterM" wrote in message
Many thanks for your kind help RD...........I used the combination for
example D10:G13
and after your helpful explanation was able to follow your advise and
move
the selected area w/o any problems.
I'm also able to use the "name box" with your kind help. How do I delete
wrong name from that area?
You sure made my day with this help. I wish there was a book I can buy
for
just form making....Have a Happy New Year...............Peter

When you say:

"PeterM" wrote in message
[...]

Ragdyer

The name of the icon is "ToggleGrid", and it looks like a small square
filled with tiny dots.
This should do what it's name implies, toggle the grid, meaning you click it
to remove the grid, and you click it again to return the grid.
Keeping you cursor on the icon, and constantly clicking it, should make the
grid appear and disappear, toggle off and on.

As for "Center Across Selection";
Unfortunately, the icon that's easily dragged to the toolbar is *NOT* the
right one to use.
It's the "Merge And Center", icon, and I definitely advise *AGAINST* using
it.
To get to "Center Across Selection", click:
<Format <Cells <Alignment tab,
Expand the "Horizontal" box, and you'll find the "Center Across Selection"
choice the last one in the list.

And don't be afraid to ask more questions.
ALL the folks around here are truly glad to answer all the questions that
you care to ask, XL pertinent, of course.
--
HTH,

RD

"PeterM" wrote in message
Many thanks for your kind help RD...........I used the combination for
example D10:G13
and after your helpful explanation was able to follow your advise and
move
the selected area w/o any problems.
I'm also able to use the "name box" with your kind help. How do I

delete
wrong name from that area?
You sure made my day with this help. I wish there was a book I can buy
for
just form making....Have a Happy New Year...............Peter

When you say:

"PeterM" wrote in message
[...]

PeterM

Many many thanks again for all the help, Tom, Dave, Debra and Ragdyer, I'm
sick in bed, but will recover and get back. The help was tremendous for this
grandpa ..............Peter

"PeterM" wrote in message
Many thanks for your kind help RD...........I used the combination for
example D10:G13
and after your helpful explanation was able to follow your advise and
move
the selected area w/o any problems.
I'm also able to use the "name box" with your kind help. How do I

delete
wrong name from that area?
You sure made my day with this help. I wish there was a book I can buy
for
just form making....Have a Happy New Year...............Peter

When you say: