Junior Member

Question Compare cells, return differences, highlight

Lots of people have read my post but haven't answered, so I thought perhaps I was unclear about what I need.
Workbook: "Returns" contains two worksheets: "Files" and "RA's" - the only thing those two worksheets have in common is a serial number.

When an RA request is received, the file document is made, then the document is sent to the appropriate person. I need to make sure that every RA request has a corresponding file document ("Files") and that every file document has been submitted (RA's").

If a serial number is found within column E of "RA's", but is not listed in column A of "Files", I want to copy the entire "RA's" row over to "Files" and highlighted. Then I can tell if the document still needs to be made.

If a serial number is found within column A of "Files" but is not listed in column E of "RA's", I want to copy the entire "Files" row over to "RA's" and highlighted. That will tell me if there are any documents that have not been submitted.

We have 18 people who update the spreadsheets, according to what returns department they are in, and what they've done with the return in question. If I can get this spreadsheet to format the way I'm asking, it will drastically cut down on the dropped balls, and will be so much easier for me to go through and check the employees progress.

I hope that clears up what I'm asking. Again, thank you for your help, y'all always come through for me.

~Ky

Hello again peeps -
I've been trying to figure this out for about a day and a half now, and I think I'm just gonna have to give up and ask for help.

One workbook with 2 worksheets. My aim is to make sure that every identifier (serial #) on both sheets also appears on the other sheet.

Worksheet 1, RA's, has serial #'s in column E; worksheet 2, Files, has serial #'s in column A. The rows are NOT in the same order - which is what is giving me so much trouble. Any entries that are listed in Files that do not have a corresponding RA's entry should copy itself over to RA's and highlight the row. Any entries that are listed in RA's that do not have a corresponding Files entry should copy itself over to Files and highlight the row.

I just cannot figure out what to do to get the information needed. If there weren't so dang many rows I would just try to visually match the sheets, but yowza - that would be a huge headache.

I sincerely thank you for your help and look forward to your replies.

~Ky

Last edited by txheart : September 17th 10 at 08:08 PM Reason: Clarity
Senior Member

Location: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by txheart View Post
[...]

The MATCH function would be able to do the conditional formatting while INDEX and MATCH combo would do the copying of the serial numbers from 1 worksheet to the other.
__________________
Asobi Wa Owari Da
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchew View Post
The MATCH function would be able to do the conditional formatting while INDEX and MATCH combo would do the copying of the serial numbers from 1 worksheet to the other.
Thanks wicked. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough yet to figure out how to do that without help. I can do the INDEX and the MATCH, even got the IF working, but it's not doing what I need. The most I've been able to do is check the other worksheet for a column entry, if the entry is there, it's all good, if the entry isn't there, show me in this cell. My cell's are showing #N/A which I can't figure out how to get rid of (I've tried both ISNA & ISERROR to no avail), I can't figure out how to check for a missing row and insert it, and conditional formatting is giving me a pain in the bootie.

About ready to just give up. Thanks anyway wicked.
~Ky
Senior Member

Location: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by txheart View Post
Thanks wicked. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough yet to figure out how to do that without help. I can do the INDEX and the MATCH, even got the IF working, but it's not doing what I need. The most I've been able to do is check the other worksheet for a column entry, if the entry is there, it's all good, if the entry isn't there, show me in this cell. My cell's are showing #N/A which I can't figure out how to get rid of (I've tried both ISNA & ISERROR to no avail), I can't figure out how to check for a missing row and insert it, and conditional formatting is giving me a pain in the bootie.

About ready to just give up. Thanks anyway wicked.
~Ky
Post a sample of the workbook here as a zip file. Let me try it out.
Asobi Wa Owari Da