Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel copy/paste questions

Greetings. In Excel 2002 SP3 I have a large sheet of data I use as a
timetable. As time passes I remove the data from the first line and shift
the rest of the data upwards. For example: Data in rows 1-4, delete data in
row 1, copy/paste data from 2-4 to 1-3 (been using "Valus Only" to preserve
conditional formatting in row 1), delete row 4. Is there any way to do this
while 1) maintaining the conditional formatting in row 1 (time-based
highlighting) and 2) maintaining the font formatting from rows 2-4 as they
move to 1-3 (red X's and green check marks)? If an example file is needed, I
can certainly post one.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure I fully understood the question - but what happens if you place
the cursor above the gray label #1 (at the far left of row 1) until it
becomes a black arrow, pointing right, then right click and choose 'delete'.
Micky

"First Aid Computing" wrote:

Greetings. In Excel 2002 SP3 I have a large sheet of data I use as a
timetable. As time passes I remove the data from the first line and shift
the rest of the data upwards. For example: Data in rows 1-4, delete data in
row 1, copy/paste data from 2-4 to 1-3 (been using "Valus Only" to preserve
conditional formatting in row 1), delete row 4. Is there any way to do this
while 1) maintaining the conditional formatting in row 1 (time-based
highlighting) and 2) maintaining the font formatting from rows 2-4 as they
move to 1-3 (red X's and green check marks)? If an example file is needed, I
can certainly post one.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It deletes the entire row including data and conditional formatting. I need
to copy/paste as there is data in the first and last columns that needs to
stay put.

Say I have a 5x5 A-E,1-5 sheet. I need the data in A1 and A5 to stay, I
need the data from A2-A4 to go, I need the conditional formatting of Row A to
stay, the data from B2-E4 to go up one row (B2-4 becomes A2-4, etc.), and the
text formatting within B2-E4 to remain unchanged. As it is now, the text
formats when I copy/paste is not kept, red sometimes changes to green and so
forth depending on what was green/red in the rows above it.

"First Aid Computing" wrote:

Greetings. In Excel 2002 SP3 I have a large sheet of data I use as a
timetable. As time passes I remove the data from the first line and shift
the rest of the data upwards. For example: Data in rows 1-4, delete data in
row 1, copy/paste data from 2-4 to 1-3 (been using "Valus Only" to preserve
conditional formatting in row 1), delete row 4. Is there any way to do this
while 1) maintaining the conditional formatting in row 1 (time-based
highlighting) and 2) maintaining the font formatting from rows 2-4 as they
move to 1-3 (red X's and green check marks)? If an example file is needed, I
can certainly post one.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well..., if selecting A2:A4 right click 'delete...' checking 'shift
cells upwards' - is for no help then I would suggest recording a Macro of the
entire procedure you have just described.
Micky

"First Aid Computing" wrote:

Greetings. In Excel 2002 SP3 I have a large sheet of data I use as a
timetable. As time passes I remove the data from the first line and shift
the rest of the data upwards. For example: Data in rows 1-4, delete data in
row 1, copy/paste data from 2-4 to 1-3 (been using "Valus Only" to preserve
conditional formatting in row 1), delete row 4. Is there any way to do this
while 1) maintaining the conditional formatting in row 1 (time-based
highlighting) and 2) maintaining the font formatting from rows 2-4 as they
move to 1-3 (red X's and green check marks)? If an example file is needed, I
can certainly post one.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Guess I'll have to try to work some more macro-meracles, then. I had
forgotten to mention that there are other sections of the sheet to keep in
place also, so deleting and shifting won't work. Gotta keep stuff on line.
Thanks anyway.

"First Aid Computing" wrote:

Greetings. In Excel 2002 SP3 I have a large sheet of data I use as a
timetable. As time passes I remove the data from the first line and shift
the rest of the data upwards. For example: Data in rows 1-4, delete data in
row 1, copy/paste data from 2-4 to 1-3 (been using "Valus Only" to preserve
conditional formatting in row 1), delete row 4. Is there any way to do this
while 1) maintaining the conditional formatting in row 1 (time-based
highlighting) and 2) maintaining the font formatting from rows 2-4 as they
move to 1-3 (red X's and green check marks)? If an example file is needed, I
can certainly post one.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You say that "the data a2-a4 to go" - is that correct - if so what
repopulates those cells?

It may help if you were to share part of your w/s if possible. Access the
following and paste in.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...W1zU mc&hl=en

You call yourself First Aid Computing - are you commercial - are you getting
paid for this?
--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"First Aid Computing" wrote:

Greetings. In Excel 2002 SP3 I have a large sheet of data I use as a
timetable. As time passes I remove the data from the first line and shift
the rest of the data upwards. For example: Data in rows 1-4, delete data in
row 1, copy/paste data from 2-4 to 1-3 (been using "Valus Only" to preserve
conditional formatting in row 1), delete row 4. Is there any way to do this
while 1) maintaining the conditional formatting in row 1 (time-based
highlighting) and 2) maintaining the font formatting from rows 2-4 as they
move to 1-3 (red X's and green check marks)? If an example file is needed, I
can certainly post one.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The First Aid Computing is my personal side-business doing computer
repair/upgrades/advice. However, I do not make enough at this job to survive
so I work full-time in a manufacturing facility and I try to keep track of
the jobs we are doing and how long they take as well as data about the jobs.
This is what my w/s is for. As I work overnights, there is no one on the IT
side of things that I can ask, let alone anyone here as I seem to know more
about Excel and other computer related tasks than just about anyone else here.

Here is the link tot he sheet.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...UlIc Hc&hl=en

Sorry it took so long, but I've never used GoogleDocs before (I try to stay
away from Google due to their privacy policies) so I had to sign up, upload,
edit, change stuff, open work-based email, verify account, jump through
freaking hoops... Anyway...

When opened, select Sheet 2. As for the worksheet you will see, The 'R' and
'S' are supposed to be in wingdings as checkmarks and X boxes. I want to
keep their colors as I move the rows. Also, it apparently doesn't show my
conditional formatting.

I've tried to redesign part of the sheet to show the steps I take. Bear in
mind that rows 5 and 9 have conditional formatting across the entire section
(highlighted red). I always have to do the copy "Values Only" in order to
preserve the cf but then it won't keep the text formatting.

"First Aid Computing" wrote:

Greetings. In Excel 2002 SP3 I have a large sheet of data I use as a
timetable. As time passes I remove the data from the first line and shift
the rest of the data upwards. For example: Data in rows 1-4, delete data in
row 1, copy/paste data from 2-4 to 1-3 (been using "Valus Only" to preserve
conditional formatting in row 1), delete row 4. Is there any way to do this
while 1) maintaining the conditional formatting in row 1 (time-based
highlighting) and 2) maintaining the font formatting from rows 2-4 as they
move to 1-3 (red X's and green check marks)? If an example file is needed, I
can certainly post one.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

I'm sorry, but I have read each of your posts, and looked at the
Googledocs file, but I am still totally unclear about what you want to do.

If you want to mail me a copy of your file, with a full description of
what you are trying to do, I will happily see if I can provide a solution

To mail direct
roger at technology4u dot co dot uk
Change the at and dots to make valid email address
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"First Aid Computing" wrote:

Greetings. In Excel 2002 SP3 I have a large sheet of data I use as a
timetable. As time passes I remove the data from the first line and shift
the rest of the data upwards. For example: Data in rows 1-4, delete data in
row 1, copy/paste data from 2-4 to 1-3 (been using "Valus Only" to preserve
conditional formatting in row 1), delete row 4. Is there any way to do this
while 1) maintaining the conditional formatting in row 1 (time-based
highlighting) and 2) maintaining the font formatting from rows 2-4 as they
move to 1-3 (red X's and green check marks)? If an example file is needed, I
can certainly post one.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi there,

Sorry to put you through that!

It's too much for me I'm afraid. There are probably some who can but who
are in bed at this moment.

I'll be watching for progress.

Good luck
--

"First Aid Computing" wrote:

Greetings. In Excel 2002 SP3 I have a large sheet of data I use as a
timetable. As time passes I remove the data from the first line and shift
the rest of the data upwards. For example: Data in rows 1-4, delete data in
row 1, copy/paste data from 2-4 to 1-3 (been using "Valus Only" to preserve
conditional formatting in row 1), delete row 4. Is there any way to do this
while 1) maintaining the conditional formatting in row 1 (time-based
highlighting) and 2) maintaining the font formatting from rows 2-4 as they
move to 1-3 (red X's and green check marks)? If an example file is needed, I
can certainly post one.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello,

I am having problems with entering in text into my Excel spread sheet. I
have three sentences entered into the cell with approximately 50 words total.
Everything is fine until I add one word (additional) to the text then plus
signs (+++++++++++) go across the length of the cell when I hit enter. I can
expand the thickness of the cell to allow for 3 or more additional line of
text but it will still not let me add on an addtional word (it is ironic that
the one word I am trying to add is additional....anyway). The intire phase
appears in the data entry box at the top of the spead sheet. I even tried to
place the cursor at the end of the text in the text entry box and hit the
delete key many many times thinking that there were spaces added after the
text that were making excell think there were many more characters in the
text extry. The other strange thing is there are cells just above the this
problem cell with the same size of merged cells as this problem cell and they
will accept more text characters then this problem cell.

I am pasting the text from WORD or PDF files...if this makes difference. I
cannot remember if this entry was from a WORD or PDF file.

Thank you, inadvance for your help.

Stewart

"First Aid Computing" wrote:

Greetings. In Excel 2002 SP3 I have a large sheet of data I use as a
timetable. As time passes I remove the data from the first line and shift
the rest of the data upwards. For example: Data in rows 1-4, delete data in
row 1, copy/paste data from 2-4 to 1-3 (been using "Valus Only" to preserve
conditional formatting in row 1), delete row 4. Is there any way to do this
while 1) maintaining the conditional formatting in row 1 (time-based
highlighting) and 2) maintaining the font formatting from rows 2-4 as they
move to 1-3 (red X's and green check marks)? If an example file is needed, I
can certainly post one.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I bet it's really ###' signs.

Try formatting the cell as general.

Excel has trouble displaying values in cells formatted as text when it's between
255 and 1024 characters.

"First Aid Computing" wrote:

Greetings. In Excel 2002 SP3 I have a large sheet of data I use as a
timetable. As time passes I remove the data from the first line and shift
the rest of the data upwards. For example: Data in rows 1-4, delete data in
row 1, copy/paste data from 2-4 to 1-3 (been using "Valus Only" to preserve
conditional formatting in row 1), delete row 4. Is there any way to do this
while 1) maintaining the conditional formatting in row 1 (time-based
highlighting) and 2) maintaining the font formatting from rows 2-4 as they
move to 1-3 (red X's and green check marks)? If an example file is needed, I
can certainly post one.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Partial solution sent, along with some more questions.
Full solution will be posted after receipt of answers.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

First Aid Computing wrote: