Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
First Aid Computing[_2_] First Aid Computing[_2_] is offline

Default Excel copy/paste questions

Guess I'll have to try to work some more macro-meracles, then. I had
forgotten to mention that there are other sections of the sheet to keep in
place also, so deleting and shifting won't work. Gotta keep stuff on line.
Thanks anyway.

"מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote:

Well..., if selecting A2:A4 right click 'delete...' checking 'shift
cells upwards' - is for no help then I would suggest recording a Macro of the
entire procedure you have just described.
Micky

"First Aid Computing" wrote:

It deletes the entire row including data and conditional formatting. I need
to copy/paste as there is data in the first and last columns that needs to
stay put.

Say I have a 5x5 A-E,1-5 sheet. I need the data in A1 and A5 to stay, I
need the data from A2-A4 to go, I need the conditional formatting of Row A to
stay, the data from B2-E4 to go up one row (B2-4 becomes A2-4, etc.), and the
text formatting within B2-E4 to remain unchanged. As it is now, the text
formats when I copy/paste is not kept, red sometimes changes to green and so
forth depending on what was green/red in the rows above it.

"מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote:

I'm not sure I fully understood the question - but what happens if you place
the cursor above the gray label #1 (at the far left of row 1) until it
becomes a black arrow, pointing right, then right click and choose 'delete'.
Micky

"First Aid Computing" wrote:

Greetings. In Excel 2002 SP3 I have a large sheet of data I use as a
timetable. As time passes I remove the data from the first line and shift
the rest of the data upwards. For example: Data in rows 1-4, delete data in
row 1, copy/paste data from 2-4 to 1-3 (been using "Valus Only" to preserve
conditional formatting in row 1), delete row 4. Is there any way to do this
while 1) maintaining the conditional formatting in row 1 (time-based
highlighting) and 2) maintaining the font formatting from rows 2-4 as they
move to 1-3 (red X's and green check marks)? If an example file is needed, I
can certainly post one.