Colonel Flagg

Default simple yet evading

i have a spreadsheet(s) that gives me a total for other sheets. done this
many times, the one thing i haven't done is generate a sheet that will
DUPLICATE a cell from another sheet exactly, without a "sum", etc.

i thought lookup would do it:

=LOOKUP("TEXT",'151a'!I1:J1)

that returns an N/A.

what i am looking to do is, have the exact same contents (it's a DATE)
that's in sheet 151a, cells i6:j1 be placed in the report sheet.

ideas?

/CF
Teeder

To grab the contents of a cell on another sheet just start where you want the
duplicate to appear with an equal, go to the sheet that has the cell you want
and click on the cell. Then hit ENTER. It will take you back to your
starting point with the duplicate entry.

Hope this helps
Teeder

"Colonel Flagg" wrote:

i have a spreadsheet(s) that gives me a total for other sheets. done this
many times, the one thing i haven't done is generate a sheet that will
DUPLICATE a cell from another sheet exactly, without a "sum", etc.

i thought lookup would do it:

=LOOKUP("TEXT",'151a'!I1:J1)

that returns an N/A.

what i am looking to do is, have the exact same contents (it's a DATE)
that's in sheet 151a, cells i6:j1 be placed in the report sheet.

ideas?

/CF

Colonel Flagg

"Teeder" wrote:

To grab the contents of a cell on another sheet just start where you want the
duplicate to appear with an equal, go to the sheet that has the cell you want
and click on the cell. Then hit ENTER. It will take you back to your
starting point with the duplicate entry.

Hope this helps
Teeder

sorry, that didn't do it. i've tried that before, i get a #VALUE! out of
trying that. could it be that the cell size isn't the same? I have merged i6
& j6 and the report cell isn't the same size, although the contents isn't
larger than the size of the cell in the report.

i dunno, but something this simple is sure pulling my hair out.

/CF
Huw Davies

CF - I'm not sure what version of Excel you're using and I can't remember if
what I'm about to say is the same for all versions, but this works in 2003:

If you have a date centered across a number of merged cells, e.g. G1:H1 and
you want to have it also show in cell A1, then all you have to enter in Cell
A1 is the formula =G1, i.e the first cell in the merged cell range that
contains the date. The same is true if the merged cell range goes across
multiple rows as well as columns, e.g. if the range is G1:H5 (i.e. a merged
range of 10 cells), the exact same formula will work. In effect, you are
pointing to the cell in the top left of the merged range and Excel does the
rest. If you enter the formula =G1:H5 in cell A1, you will get a #VALUE error
as you're trying to tell Excel but put the contents of 10 cells into 1 cell,
and you can't do that with just an "=" sign.

Hope this helps.

Huw.