Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Parsing Out a Month from a date field

In a field, I have the date 1/1/2008, but I only want to know that is was
JANUARY. Because I want to know if the current month is ,< or = the month
that is in that field.

This is being used when comparing previous years sales activities. So if I
got the order in Jan 15, 2008 for my annual product, then I would expect my
new order to come in Jan 2009 (but not necesarily on the 15th).

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As a guess you want the month formula.
=month(A1)
Where A1 has the date in it. That will return a number from 1 to 12 which
defines the month.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Warm FL" wrote:

In a field, I have the date 1/1/2008, but I only want to know that is was
JANUARY. Because I want to know if the current month is ,< or = the month
that is in that field.

This is being used when comparing previous years sales activities. So if I
got the order in Jan 15, 2008 for my annual product, then I would expect my
new order to come in Jan 2009 (but not necesarily on the 15th).

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With so little info I am going to do some mind reading based on dates in col
a and the values in column b and you want the 1st month.

=sumproduct((month(a2:a22)=1)*b2:b22)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel