Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
C.Hirsch

Default Converting a date field into a month-year only field

I have a column of dates that are populated with xx/xx/yyyy and I would like
have another column that takes the date of the particular month & year and
combine it to be recognized only as a month-year data cell. I am trying to
do this so my pivot table will combine all of the dates within a certain
month into a common total cell.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe you could use another column with formulas like:
=text(a2,"yyyymm")

If you really wanted to just worry about the month and ignore the year:
=text(a2,"mm")
or just
=month(a2)

===
But before you do this, you may want to rightclick on that field in the
pivottable and choose Group and show detail. Group by Month (or month and
year).

Each of the entries in that field in the raw data has to be a date--no text, no
empty cells.

--

Dave Peterson