Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alan

Default Extracting month from a date field

In cell A1 is the date 8/29/1924. I want to present the month in 3
character format in cell B1. I have the formula =month(a1) in cell B1 which
shows the number 8. I have tried formatting cell B1 in different ways to
get "Aug" to show. I get "Jan" showing when I use the formula =text
(monthA1,"MMM") in cell B1. What gives??

TIA, Alan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

8 by itself represents Jan 8, 1900.

You could just use
=A1
and format it as MMM
or
=text(a1,"mmm")

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FiluDlidu

Don't forget that when you have "8" for a date, that represents January 8th
of the first year on the counter (which is 1900), and therefore, you're
getting "Jan".
You could use the following in B1:
=text(A1,"Mmm")

Then the result of the first part of the formula will not be 8, but 9008
(which corresponds to August 29th in 1924), and the result will be "Aug".

Regards,
FĂ©lix