Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default 4th time lucky?

I've posted 3 times regarding my problem with links. I can't believe I am
the only user experiencing these problems or maybe I am being specifically
targetted by the powers that be. My last try and then I go home and cry in
my soup

When double clicking on a cell that is linked to another workbook, instead of
opening that workbook and going directly to the requisite cell, there is a
long pause and the workbook slowly opens but stays flashing orange. I then
have to guess when it has fully opened and then double click again before it
will go to the requisite cell.

In 2003 this worked perfectly. Is the problem something to do with the
workbooks having been originally created in 2003 and is there any way to
rectify this annoying decrease in efficiency?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Russell.

Are you talking about EXCEL 2007?

If you are I may be able to try and devote some time to trying to replicate
your issue over the next few days.

"Russell" wrote:

I've posted 3 times regarding my problem with links. I can't believe I am
the only user experiencing these problems or maybe I am being specifically
targetted by the powers that be. My last try and then I go home and cry in
my soup

When double clicking on a cell that is linked to another workbook, instead of
opening that workbook and going directly to the requisite cell, there is a
long pause and the workbook slowly opens but stays flashing orange. I then
have to guess when it has fully opened and then double click again before it
will go to the requisite cell.

In 2003 this worked perfectly. Is the problem something to do with the
workbooks having been originally created in 2003 and is there any way to
rectify this annoying decrease in efficiency?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes in 2007

We've recently been upgraded and my links through to other workbooks are :

1/ Very slow
2/ They only open the new workbook up and stay in the original workbook. I
am only transported to the linked cell if I then double click again

Any help would be much appreciated. Do you need further examples?

Thanks
Russell

"Russell" wrote:

I've posted 3 times regarding my problem with links. I can't believe I am
the only user experiencing these problems or maybe I am being specifically
targetted by the powers that be. My last try and then I go home and cry in
my soup

When double clicking on a cell that is linked to another workbook, instead of
opening that workbook and going directly to the requisite cell, there is a
long pause and the workbook slowly opens but stays flashing orange. I then
have to guess when it has fully opened and then double click again before it
will go to the requisite cell.

In 2003 this worked perfectly. Is the problem something to do with the
workbooks having been originally created in 2003 and is there any way to
rectify this annoying decrease in efficiency?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is what I have done to try and replicate your problem in EXCEL 2007.

1. I have set up 2 Workbooks as follows:-

C:\excel\microsoft\linked_workbook1.xlsx

C:\excel\microsoft\linked_workbook2.xlsx

2. In cell A 1 of:-

C:\excel\microsoft\linked_workbook1.xlsx

- I have:-

linked_workbook1 cell A1

(The above line can be anything you want).

3. In cell A 1 of:-

C:\excel\microsoft\linked_workbook2.xlsx

- I have:-

=[linked_workbook1.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$1

- and this is currently displaying:-

linked_workbook1 cell A1

At this point all of the above appears to be in order.

4. At this point, with both Workbooks open on the screen in front of me I go
into:-

C:\excel\microsoft\linked_workbook2.xlsx

- cell A 1.

5. I now, with the left hand mouse button click twice very quickly.

This does not move the cursor to the other workbook
(C:\excel\microsoft\linked_workbook1.xlsx).

6. The cursor stays where it is in:-

C:\excel\microsoft\linked_workbook2.xlsx

- cell A 1.

It displays the formula in the cell which is:-

=[linked_workbook1.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$1

7. I now close both Workbooks.

8. I now open:-

C:\excel\microsoft\linked_workbook2.xlsx

9. I click in cell A 1 of the above Workbook.

10. I now, with the left hand mouse button click twice very quickly.

The cursor stays where it is and displays:-

='C:\excel\Microsoft\[linked_workbook1.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1

As far as I can see then Russell, unless others advise otherwise, the above
seems to be intended functionality.

Thanks.

"Russell" wrote:

I've posted 3 times regarding my problem with links. I can't believe I am
the only user experiencing these problems or maybe I am being specifically
targetted by the powers that be. My last try and then I go home and cry in
my soup

When double clicking on a cell that is linked to another workbook, instead of
opening that workbook and going directly to the requisite cell, there is a
long pause and the workbook slowly opens but stays flashing orange. I then
have to guess when it has fully opened and then double click again before it
will go to the requisite cell.

In 2003 this worked perfectly. Is the problem something to do with the
workbooks having been originally created in 2003 and is there any way to
rectify this annoying decrease in efficiency?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for this

The link can be followed by going through to excel options : editing options
- allow editing directly in cell & unticking this box

The cursor would then go through to the linked workbook

Although this works for newly set up workbooks in 2007, my specific problem
is that it doesn't for the legacy workbooks I set up in 2003. I obviously
don't want to completely redo these workbooks and have to reset all the links

Any insights gratefully received

"Russell" wrote:

I've posted 3 times regarding my problem with links. I can't believe I am
the only user experiencing these problems or maybe I am being specifically
targetted by the powers that be. My last try and then I go home and cry in
my soup

When double clicking on a cell that is linked to another workbook, instead of
opening that workbook and going directly to the requisite cell, there is a
long pause and the workbook slowly opens but stays flashing orange. I then
have to guess when it has fully opened and then double click again before it
will go to the requisite cell.

In 2003 this worked perfectly. Is the problem something to do with the
workbooks having been originally created in 2003 and is there any way to
rectify this annoying decrease in efficiency?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you converted all of your worksheets to Excel 2007?

Also, if you have any spaces in the folder and file names that the workbooks
that your hyperlink is attached to, it will slow your system down. Try
replacing your spaces with an underscore (_).

I hope this helps you.

"Russell" wrote:

I've posted 3 times regarding my problem with links. I can't believe I am
the only user experiencing these problems or maybe I am being specifically
targetted by the powers that be. My last try and then I go home and cry in
my soup

When double clicking on a cell that is linked to another workbook, instead of
opening that workbook and going directly to the requisite cell, there is a
long pause and the workbook slowly opens but stays flashing orange. I then
have to guess when it has fully opened and then double click again before it
will go to the requisite cell.

In 2003 this worked perfectly. Is the problem something to do with the
workbooks having been originally created in 2003 and is there any way to
rectify this annoying decrease in efficiency?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks a lot for your reply

Yes all my workbooks have been converted to 2007

I don't have any hyperlinks so I don't think that can be the problem

I'm not sure how you can replace the spaces with an underscore, as this
changes the 'address' of the link and means the file cannot then be found

Any further assistance is much appreciated

Thanks
Russell

"Russell" wrote:

I've posted 3 times regarding my problem with links. I can't believe I am
the only user experiencing these problems or maybe I am being specifically
targetted by the powers that be. My last try and then I go home and cry in
my soup

When double clicking on a cell that is linked to another workbook, instead of
opening that workbook and going directly to the requisite cell, there is a
long pause and the workbook slowly opens but stays flashing orange. I then
have to guess when it has fully opened and then double click again before it
will go to the requisite cell.

In 2003 this worked perfectly. Is the problem something to do with the
workbooks having been originally created in 2003 and is there any way to
rectify this annoying decrease in efficiency?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"JBox" wrote:

Have you converted all of your worksheets to Excel 2007?

Also, if you have any spaces in the folder and file names that the workbooks
that your hyperlink is attached to, it will slow your system down. Try
replacing your spaces with an underscore (_).

I hope this helps you.

<rest snipped

I think JBox is suggesting that you replace the spaces in both your file
names and the link references with underscores.

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh I see, sorry

Unfortunately I have tried this and get the same functionality

I can't believe I am the only person in the world with this problem. I know
it's considered a bit risky but does no-one else link between workbooks?

Thanks for your help and any further assistance would be much appreciated

Russell