Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old December 10th 09, 04:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
Default Prevent SORT from asking to expand selection in Excel 2007?

Has anyone figured out how to stop EXCEL 2007 from constantly asking if it
should "Expand the selection" or "Continue with the current selection?" I
have to sort answers I'm creating for multiple-choice tests, so my data bank
has groups of four answers that I sort alphabetically one group after
another. The wretched program constantly pops up this "Sort Warning" that
forces two extra clicks or keystrokes for every sort!

I'm sure that someone thought the warning would be useful, but I'M SICK OF
IT! It should be possible to TURN IT OFF!!!

[And no, I cannot apply a general sort to the entire sheet to avoid the
question-by-question sort....]


  #2   Report Post  
Old December 10th 09, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,908
Default Prevent SORT from asking to expand selection in Excel 2007?

Is it possible in your layout to isolate the groups of data by inserting
blank columns left and right of your selection?

And blank rows above and below.

Or create separate "Tables" for each section.


Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 20:01:02 -0800, M. E. Kabay, PhD, CISSP-ISSMP <M. E.
Kabay, PhD, wrote:

Has anyone figured out how to stop EXCEL 2007 from constantly asking if it
should "Expand the selection" or "Continue with the current selection?" I
have to sort answers I'm creating for multiple-choice tests, so my data bank
has groups of four answers that I sort alphabetically one group after
another. The wretched program constantly pops up this "Sort Warning" that
forces two extra clicks or keystrokes for every sort!

I'm sure that someone thought the warning would be useful, but I'M SICK OF
IT! It should be possible to TURN IT OFF!!!

[And no, I cannot apply a general sort to the entire sheet to avoid the
question-by-question sort....]


  #3   Report Post  
Old February 10th 10, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
Default Prevent SORT from asking to expand selection in Excel 2007?

The problem that I have and the original poster might have is that there is a
lot of data to be sorted. Adding the blank rows and columns is NOT an option
for me. Is there a way to just turn off this "helpful" (extremely
aggravating) reminder?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Is it possible in your layout to isolate the groups of data by inserting
blank columns left and right of your selection?

And blank rows above and below.

Or create separate "Tables" for each section.


Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 20:01:02 -0800, M. E. Kabay, PhD, CISSP-ISSMP <M. E.
Kabay, PhD, wrote:

Has anyone figured out how to stop EXCEL 2007 from constantly asking if it
should "Expand the selection" or "Continue with the current selection?" I
have to sort answers I'm creating for multiple-choice tests, so my data bank
has groups of four answers that I sort alphabetically one group after
another. The wretched program constantly pops up this "Sort Warning" that
forces two extra clicks or keystrokes for every sort!

I'm sure that someone thought the warning would be useful, but I'M SICK OF
IT! It should be possible to TURN IT OFF!!!

[And no, I cannot apply a general sort to the entire sheet to avoid the
question-by-question sort....]


.

  #4   Report Post  
Old February 10th 10, 11:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,218
Default Prevent SORT from asking to expand selection in Excel 2007?

No. And I for one am exceedingly happy that MS added this warning.

Sam Nichols wrote:

The problem that I have and the original poster might have is that there is a
lot of data to be sorted. Adding the blank rows and columns is NOT an option
for me. Is there a way to just turn off this "helpful" (extremely
aggravating) reminder?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Is it possible in your layout to isolate the groups of data by inserting
blank columns left and right of your selection?

And blank rows above and below.

Or create separate "Tables" for each section.


Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 20:01:02 -0800, M. E. Kabay, PhD, CISSP-ISSMP <M. E.
Kabay, PhD, wrote:

Has anyone figured out how to stop EXCEL 2007 from constantly asking if it
should "Expand the selection" or "Continue with the current selection?" I
have to sort answers I'm creating for multiple-choice tests, so my data bank
has groups of four answers that I sort alphabetically one group after
another. The wretched program constantly pops up this "Sort Warning" that
forces two extra clicks or keystrokes for every sort!

I'm sure that someone thought the warning would be useful, but I'M SICK OF
IT! It should be possible to TURN IT OFF!!!

[And no, I cannot apply a general sort to the entire sheet to avoid the
question-by-question sort....]


.


--

Dave Peterson
  #5   Report Post  
Old April 23rd 13, 04:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Default Prevent SORT from asking to expand selection in Excel 2007?

On Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:18:55 PM UTC-5, Dave Peterson wrote:
No. And I for one am exceedingly happy that MS added this warning.

Sam Nichols wrote:

The problem that I have and the original poster might have is that there is a
lot of data to be sorted. Adding the blank rows and columns is NOT an option
for me. Is there a way to just turn off this "helpful" (extremely
aggravating) reminder?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Is it possible in your layout to isolate the groups of data by inserting
blank columns left and right of your selection?

And blank rows above and below.

Or create separate "Tables" for each section.


Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 20:01:02 -0800, M. E. Kabay, PhD, CISSP-ISSMP <M. E.
Kabay, PhD, wrote:

Has anyone figured out how to stop EXCEL 2007 from constantly asking if it
should "Expand the selection" or "Continue with the current selection?" I
have to sort answers I'm creating for multiple-choice tests, so my data bank
has groups of four answers that I sort alphabetically one group after
another. The wretched program constantly pops up this "Sort Warning" that
forces two extra clicks or keystrokes for every sort!

I'm sure that someone thought the warning would be useful, but I'M SICK OF
IT! It should be possible to TURN IT OFF!!!

[And no, I cannot apply a general sort to the entire sheet to avoid the
question-by-question sort....]

.


--

Dave Peterson


This doesn't make sense if it cannot be turned off. It is like saying "Because one in a hundred people will make a mistake, everybody else are considered to make the same mistake and HAVE TO PAY FOR IT."
It seems Mr. Peterson might be one of those who made such mistakes...... At least to me, I do see a reason why this warning should be there, but I don't see any reasons why there is no way for it to be turned off.


  #6   Report Post  
Old March 2nd 16, 05:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Default Prevent SORT from asking to expand selection in Excel 2007?

I know this is an old thread but I was just searching for what I assumed would be an easy solution that apparently doesn't exist. The person that said they're glad MS added that warning is the exact kind of idiot who shouldn't be using a complex application like Excel in the first place and has created a generation of multiple warnings that we now see everywhere. Honestly, if you don't know enough about a program to know whether you've selected a column or the entire sheet then you should still be in high school. Or maybe the problem is that MS needs two version: For Dummies; and then For Professionals. When they start putting a warning on a parents coffee cup: Did you remember your child in the grocery store?" I'm going to just nod and say to myself "Yup this is the generation of the total utter idiot who couldn't open their own eyes if their brain was any less capable. God help us all.
  #7   Report Post  
Old February 28th 19, 10:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Default Prevent SORT from asking to expand selection in Excel 2007?

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 11:58:37 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I know this is an old thread but I was just searching for what I assumed would be an easy solution that apparently doesn't exist. The person that said they're glad MS added that warning is the exact kind of idiot who shouldn't be using a complex application like Excel in the first place and has created a generation of multiple warnings that we now see everywhere. Honestly, if you don't know enough about a program to know whether you've selected a column or the entire sheet then you should still be in high school. Or maybe the problem is that MS needs two version: For Dummies; and then For Professionals. When they start putting a warning on a parents coffee cup: Did you remember your child in the grocery store?" I'm going to just nod and say to myself "Yup this is the generation of the total utter idiot who couldn't open their own eyes if their brain was any less capable. God help us all.


Rant much?
  #8   Report Post  
Old March 2nd 19, 10:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
Default Prevent SORT from asking to expand selection in Excel 2007?

On Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 3:18:55 PM UTC-8, Dave Peterson wrote:
No. And I for one am exceedingly happy that MS added this warning.

Sam Nichols wrote:

The problem that I have and the original poster might have is that there is a
lot of data to be sorted. Adding the blank rows and columns is NOT an option
for me. Is there a way to just turn off this "helpful" (extremely
aggravating) reminder?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Is it possible in your layout to isolate the groups of data by inserting
blank columns left and right of your selection?

And blank rows above and below.

Or create separate "Tables" for each section.


Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 20:01:02 -0800, M. E. Kabay, PhD, CISSP-ISSMP <M. E.
Kabay, PhD, wrote:

Has anyone figured out how to stop EXCEL 2007 from constantly asking if it
should "Expand the selection" or "Continue with the current selection?" I
have to sort answers I'm creating for multiple-choice tests, so my data bank
has groups of four answers that I sort alphabetically one group after
another. The wretched program constantly pops up this "Sort Warning" that
forces two extra clicks or keystrokes for every sort!

I'm sure that someone thought the warning would be useful, but I'M SICK OF
IT! It should be possible to TURN IT OFF!!!

[And no, I cannot apply a general sort to the entire sheet to avoid the
question-by-question sort....]

.


--

Dave Peterson


Dave, thanks for answering the question!!!!! I spend so much time reading people's responses only to get to the end and realize the NO was the answer.....
  #9   Report Post  
Old May 15th 19, 05:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: May 2019
Posts: 1
Default Prevent SORT from asking to expand selection in Excel 2007?

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 5:57:03 AM UTC+7, wrote:

Rant much?


Definitely. He is as bad as the one he described


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot expand the selection to entire spreadsheet when sorting Mikki Excel Worksheet Functions 2 March 20th 09 02:58 AM
Expand Selection in Auto filter NM Excel Worksheet Functions 7 December 4th 08 02:00 PM
Expand Selection in Multiple Sheets Salman Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 February 9th 07 11:47 AM
prevent column from being included in sort in Excel jannkatt Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 June 12th 06 01:46 PM
Shift+Arrow does not expand selection No_RZN Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 May 25th 05 07:49 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017