Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Errors in Excel 2007 Calculation

Hi,

I'm having problems with Excel 2007

When I total up a number of cells, the value that is shown is 0. For
instance, totalling G3+j3+N3, I get 0. The referenced cells have values
greater than zero

Note: There is a notification of circular reference in one of the cells.
However, I never encountered such a problem with previous versions of excel
(zero value)

Rgds
Mike Tan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This result would occur if you had text in the cells rather than numbers.
Text is typically left-justified, rather than right-justified. Is that what
you see?

Another way of checking is to use =istext(g3). If that returns true, you've
found your problem.

Regards,
Fred

"Mike Tan" <Mike wrote in message

I'm having problems with Excel 2007

When I total up a number of cells, the value that is shown is 0. For
instance, totalling G3+j3+N3, I get 0. The referenced cells have values
greater than zero

Note: There is a notification of circular reference in one of the cells.
However, I never encountered such a problem with previous versions of
excel
(zero value)

Rgds
Mike Tan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In which cell you are applying the formula? The circular reference will
occur when the formula intersect with the current cell on which you are
applying the formula.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Mike Tan" wrote:

Hi,

I'm having problems with Excel 2007

When I total up a number of cells, the value that is shown is 0. For
instance, totalling G3+j3+N3, I get 0. The referenced cells have values
greater than zero

Note: There is a notification of circular reference in one of the cells.
However, I never encountered such a problem with previous versions of excel
(zero value)

Rgds
Mike Tan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Solve your circular reference problem, then see what number you get.
You'd get the same symptoms with Excel 2003; zero if an unresolved circular
reference.
--
David Biddulph

"Mike Tan" <Mike wrote in message

I'm having problems with Excel 2007

When I total up a number of cells, the value that is shown is 0. For
instance, totalling G3+j3+N3, I get 0. The referenced cells have values
greater than zero

Note: There is a notification of circular reference in one of the cells.
However, I never encountered such a problem with previous versions of
excel
(zero value)

Rgds
Mike Tan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Lets say that the cell J3 is a sum of three other cells (eg j4,j5 & j6), and
the circular reference occurs in j5.

As in my previous example, let's say that P3=G3+j3+N3. Although the values
in G3,J3 and N3 are greater than 0, P3 returns a zero value.

Is the main cause the circular reference? Or is there a problem with Excel
:) ?

Rgds
Mike tan