Patrick

Default Large amount of text in cells - Problem text.xls (0/1)

Hi,

I am having a problem getting Excel to display all text in a cell. I
am using Excel 97 and need the functionality to record large amounts
of text, as well as the calculation capabilities.

I know that Excel 97 will accept 32,000 characters in a cell and I am
not using anywhere near this. When I enter my text, it is no longer
displayed in the cell. It is there when I click on it but not when the
cursor is in another cell.

I attach a small file to explain what I mean.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick
Jim Rech

Excel will only display so much text in a cell. The exact amount depends on
the column's width but even at the maximum your 2900+ characters will not
all display.

I'd suggest using a text box. See attached.

--
Jim
"Patrick" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I am having a problem getting Excel to display all text in a cell. I
| am using Excel 97 and need the functionality to record large amounts
| of text, as well as the calculation capabilities.
|
| I know that Excel 97 will accept 32,000 characters in a cell and I am
| not using anywhere near this. When I enter my text, it is no longer
| displayed in the cell. It is there when I click on it but not when the
| cursor is in another cell.
|
| I attach a small file to explain what I mean.
|
| Thanks in advance,
|

| Patrick

JE McGimpsey

Please don't attach files - this is not a binary newsgroup.

XL cells can contain 32767 characters, only the first 1024 will normally
be displayed. You can manually work around this by putting in a line
feed (alt-Enter) at least once every 1024 characters.

In article ,
Patrick wrote:

I am having a problem getting Excel to display all text in a cell. I
am using Excel 97 and need the functionality to record large amounts
of text, as well as the calculation capabilities.

I know that Excel 97 will accept 32,000 characters in a cell and I am
not using anywhere near this. When I enter my text, it is no longer
displayed in the cell. It is there when I click on it but not when the
cursor is in another cell.

I attach a small file to explain what I mean.

Patrick

On Thu, 05 May 2005 07:29:28 -0600, JE McGimpsey
wrote:

Please don't attach files - this is not a binary newsgroup.

Oops, sorry. This is my very first newsgroup post.

XL cells can contain 32767 characters, only the first 1024 will normally
be displayed. You can manually work around this by putting in a line
feed (alt-Enter) at least once every 1024 characters.

Thanks!