Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Changing number of available columns & rows

My Excel 2007 is set to the same number of columns & rows as prior versions.
How do I change that? Thanks for your time. Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you open a file in xls format from an earlier version of Excel then you
only get 255 columns / 65536 rows. You'd have to open the file then do a
save as in one of the Excel 2007 formats. The next time you open the file
you'll get all the rows/columns in Excel 2007.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote in message
My Excel 2007 is set to the same number of columns & rows as prior
versions. How do I change that? Thanks for your time. Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Save the file as a normal workbook (or .xlsx (no macros) or .xlsm (with
macros)).

Close the file and reopen that newly saved version--not the .xls version.

If you look at the titlebar, you should see (or not see) the Compatibility mode
indicator.

Otto Moehrbach wrote:

My Excel 2007 is set to the same number of columns & rows as prior versions.
How do I change that? Thanks for your time. Otto

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Typo:

255 columns

Should be:

256 columns

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote in message
If you open a file in xls format from an earlier version of Excel then you
only get 255 columns / 65536 rows. You'd have to open the file then do a
save as in one of the Excel 2007 formats. The next time you open the file
you'll get all the rows/columns in Excel 2007.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote in message
My Excel 2007 is set to the same number of columns & rows as prior
versions. How do I change that? Thanks for your time. Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Save the workbook as Excel 2007.

If new workbooks are all 65536 rows and 256 columns you may have a BOOK.XLT
in your XLSTART folder left over from Excel 2003.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 13:57:53 -0500, "Otto Moehrbach"
wrote:

My Excel 2007 is set to the same number of columns & rows as prior versions.
How do I change that? Thanks for your time. Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks guys. I think I had my brain turned off. Otto