Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GaryG

Default Changing Rows into Columns

I have data on 2000 rows going across X amount of columns. What i need is to
sort the data so everything appears in Column A one after another so i can
use it for a VLookup.

Is there any way of doing this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MartinW

Hi Gary,

Your problem is not very clear from your post. Are you trying to rotate all
your data from rows to columns? If that is the case you could just leave it
as is and use HLOOKUP.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GaryG

Cheers Martin but the HLOOKUP doesn't help me.

What i am trying to end up with is all my data cells to appear in one
complete column. Now i have data spread across rows & columns similar to
data in a matrix.

Another way of looking at it is that i need the data in column B to appear
under the data currently in ColumnA, then Column C data to appear under
this & so on.

I can do it manually but i have 256 columns of data so looking for a quick
way.

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Gary,

Your problem is not very clear from your post. Are you trying to rotate all
your data from rows to columns? If that is the case you could just leave it
as is and use HLOOKUP.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MartinW

Ok Gary now I can understand your problem, unfortunately, I can't help you
other than to say I think it should be able to be done. Hopefully it won't
be long before one of the resident Gurus drops by and enlightens us both.

Cheers
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gizmo63

Judging by your posts what I guess you're trying to achieve is a check to see
if a particular value exists in your matrix.

This is the only reason I can see for creating a vlookup on 1 column only.

Can you confirm? If I'm right I can give you an answer.

Giz

"MartinW" wrote:

Ok Gary now I can understand your problem, unfortunately, I can't help you
other than to say I think it should be able to be done. Hopefully it won't
be long before one of the resident Gurus drops by and enlightens us both.

Cheers
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GaryG

Hi, thats correct i have a lot of data scattered across columns & rows, i
want to use a vlookup on another sheet to return these values.

"MartinW" wrote:

Ok Gary now I can understand your problem, unfortunately, I can't help you
other than to say I think it should be able to be done. Hopefully it won't
be long before one of the resident Gurus drops by and enlightens us both.

Cheers
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GaryG

Sorry not all rows have the 256 columns populated, most have only 1 column
per row, however 1 or 2 have 256 columns.

It should only amount to about 7000 data cells.

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Gary,

Your problem is not very clear from your post. Are you trying to rotate

all
your data from rows to columns? If that is the case you could just leave

it
as is and use HLOOKUP.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gizmo63

OK, you have a value in sheet1!A1 that you need to verify exists in the data
held in sheet2!$A$1:$IV$65536.

This formula in say sheet1!A2 will return a TRUE or FALSE (1 or 0) answer
depending if the test value is in the 'matrix'.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(sheet2!$A$1:$IV$65536=sheet1!$A$1))

HTH

Giz

"MartinW" wrote:

Ok Gary now I can understand your problem, unfortunately, I can't help you
other than to say I think it should be able to be done. Hopefully it won't
be long before one of the resident Gurus drops by and enlightens us both.

Cheers
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GaryG

Cheers for your help but this isn't working for me. This is the forumla i
entered

=SUMPRODUCT(--(pallets!$1:$65536=moves!$A$1))

Sheet 2 being "pallets" which is the matrix

Sheet 1 being "moves" which holds the data i want to check exists in "pallets"

Error is #NUM

"MartinW" wrote:

Ok Gary now I can understand your problem, unfortunately, I can't help you
other than to say I think it should be able to be done. Hopefully it won't
be long before one of the resident Gurus drops by and enlightens us both.

Cheers
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PY & Associates

Try this

dim c as range
dim rng as range
set rng=range("A1").currentregion
i=3000
for each c in rng
if not isempty(c) then
cells(i,1)=c
i=i+1
end if
next
rows(1:2999).delete 'if you want

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Gary,

Your problem is not very clear from your post. Are you trying to

rotate
all
your data from rows to columns? If that is the case you could just

leave
it
as is and use HLOOKUP.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gizmo63

The formula is correct and I've double checked that it works for text or
numeric arguments.

You need to go over your 'matrix', somewhere in there is an error producing
the excel #NUM! error message.

Quickest way is to select the entire sheet, CTRL+F to open the Find, then
look for #NUM! being sure to select 'Look in Values' in the options.

Giz