Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default translation in Excel 2003

I have a column with text values in a foreign language. Is there a way I can
translate this text to English using a formula / macro / web query such that
all translated values get populated in the adjacent column?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are the text values made up of single words or phrases? Do you have a
lot of them?

You could set up a table which shows the foreign words in one column
and the translation in the next column and then use VLOOKUP from that
table.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 22, 6:39*am, Shadab Malik
wrote:
I have a column with text values in a foreign language. Is there a way I can
translate this text to English using a formula / macro / web query such that
all translated values get populated in the adjacent column?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Pete,

Thanks for your reply but I want the kind of table that you propose to use
VLOOKUP from.

I have phrases in a column and need translation for those in adjacent
column. I dont have any other table with such translation to use. I am
looking for an inbuilt translation tool in Excel. The language that needs
translation is Chinese.

Thanks

wrote:
I have a column with text values in a foreign language. Is there a way I can
translate this text to English using a formula / macro / web query such that
all translated values get populated in the adjacent column?

Thanks in advance.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not aware of any inbuilt translation tool in Excel, so you will
need to build one yourself.

Pete

wrote:
I have a column with text values in a foreign language. Is there a way I can
translate this text to English using a formula / macro / web query such that
all translated values get populated in the adjacent column?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you go to "Research" -- "Language", you get reference books that serves
this purpose.

I am not sure if this problem can be solved in Excel but I am pretty sure
Excel has solution to everything ;)

May be an Advanced Excel user could throw some light on it.

Thanks