Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot table subtotals

I need to know if this is possible.

I have bank transactions for 6 months from 5 different accounts. I can
easily dump the data and use a pivot table using row: Date, column: Account,
Field: Amount.

I would like to have an additional level of subtotals at the end of each
month. I tried grouping but didn't get far with inserting additional
subtotals. If I can't do this, I'm forced to create 6 different pivot tables
which doesn't sound efficient.

suggestions are welcome.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So are your dates actual XL dates or are they text. Are there any blanks. If
each record in the source data is an actual XL date then you should be able
to group by month. Right click the Date Fields and select
Group and Show Detail
If everything is a true date then you will have the option of selecting
multiple different grouping options including month...

Check here for more info...
http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Dates
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"blkane" wrote:

I need to know if this is possible.

I have bank transactions for 6 months from 5 different accounts. I can
easily dump the data and use a pivot table using row: Date, column: Account,
Field: Amount.

I would like to have an additional level of subtotals at the end of each
month. I tried grouping but didn't get far with inserting additional
subtotals. If I can't do this, I'm forced to create 6 different pivot tables
which doesn't sound efficient.

suggestions are welcome.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim, Thanks. I'd never used the grouping option box. I would just
highlight the group and click group. With your suggestion, I was able to
group by month. This accomplishes my goal. Thanks again.