Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Counting Cells with colors

Is there a formula that will count cells that contain different colors. Blank
with no data just colored.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Which version of Excel do you have?

"JimW" wrote:

Is there a formula that will count cells that contain different colors. Blank
with no data just colored.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

2003

"JimW" wrote:

Is there a formula that will count cells that contain different colors. Blank
with no data just colored.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There might also be text in the cell but I want to count it based strictly on
the color

"JimW" wrote:

Is there a formula that will count cells that contain different colors. Blank
with no data just colored.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is no built in function in Excel to do that, but there is a macro you
can use.

If you want it, you can do a search in the search for box with count color.

"JimW" wrote:

Is there a formula that will count cells that contain different colors. Blank
with no data just colored.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think you can do that with a formula. Here is some code that may be
tweeked to suit.

Sub ColorCount()
'Counts the number of colored
'cells in a range named Data.
Dim Blue5 As Integer
Dim Red3 As Integer
Dim Green4 As Integer
Dim Yellow6 As Integer
Dim Cell As Range

For Each Cell In Range("Data") '("B1:F11")
If Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 5 Then
Blue5 = Blue5 + 1
ElseIf Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3 Then
Red3 = Red3 + 1
ElseIf Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 4 Then
Green4 = Green4 + 1
ElseIf Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 Then
Yellow6 = Yellow6 + 1
End If
Next

Range("A1").Value = Blue5 & " Blue"
Range("A2").Value = Red3 & " Red"
Range("A3").Value = Green4 & " Green"
Range("A4").Value = Yellow6 & " Yellow"

MsgBox " You have: " & vbCr _
& vbCr & " Blue " & Blue5 _
& vbCr & " Red " & Red3 _
& vbCr & " Green " & Green4 _
& vbCr & " Yellow " & Yellow6, _
vbOKOnly, "CountColor"
End Sub

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"JimW" wrote in message
Is there a formula that will count cells that contain different colors.
Blank
with no data just colored.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have lots of code, including a count by color function, at
www.cpearson.com/Excel/Colors.aspx

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional