Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Resetting multiple cells containing drop-down lists

Excel 2003, XP: I have a spreadsheet with a large number of cells containing
drop-down lists. I need to reset these. For example, I'd like to reset all
the cells in one column to "Required", which is on all the drop-down lists.
When I select all the cells and right-click, one of the choices is "Pick from
drop-down list", but that choice doesn't do much. (I won't describe it, but
you can try it.) The obvious answer is "write a macro", but I'm wondering if
there's a built-in way to do this. Thanks.

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming DV dropdowns.

Select "Required" in top dropdown cell.

Select that cell and all other dropdown cells in the column.

F2 then CTRL + Enter

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:36:59 GMT, "christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com"
<u3143@uwe wrote:

Excel 2003, XP: I have a spreadsheet with a large number of cells containing
drop-down lists. I need to reset these. For example, I'd like to reset all
the cells in one column to "Required", which is on all the drop-down lists.
When I select all the cells and right-click, one of the choices is "Pick from
drop-down list", but that choice doesn't do much. (I won't describe it, but
you can try it.) The obvious answer is "write a macro", but I'm wondering if
there's a built-in way to do this. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks. I looked in the Help and found Ctrl-Enter for repeating the value of
the current cell, but it didn't mention F2, and I find that Ctrl-Enter
doesn't work without F2. I searched the help page but didn't get a clear idea
of what F2 does in this case, or why it wasn't mentioned. Any further
explanation appreciated.

Gord Dibben wrote:
Assuming DV dropdowns.

Select "Required" in top dropdown cell.

Select that cell and all other dropdown cells in the column.

F2 then CTRL + Enter

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Excel 2003, XP: I have a spreadsheet with a large number of cells containing
drop-down lists. I need to reset these. For example, I'd like to reset all

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
you can try it.) The obvious answer is "write a macro", but I'm wondering if
there's a built-in way to do this. Thanks.

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

F2 puts you into Edit mode for the active cell.

CTRL + Enter repeats this editing in each cell in the selection.

You could do same thing by selecting the cells then mouse-click in the
Formula Bar then CTRL + Enter.

Gord