Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Multiple drop down lists filtered

I have a list of data like shown below that I would like to use with
data validation to populate a drop down list in 3 seperate cells. I
want my first drop down list for "Assy" give me A,B,C as options and
then when I pick one of those the next drop down list will only show
the "Part"s that are associated to that "Assy" and then a 3rd time to
only show the "color" that is available for the "Assy" & "Part"
selected. The data below is just made up but was the simplest to
explain what I am trying to do. I do not want a pivot table and would
like to be able to do it all with Excel functions staying out of VBA.
I am also not wanting to just filter my database although that is kind
of what I am doing as I narrow down my choices. I also do not want to
add any helper columns or anything to my data as it will be changing
often.
I would appreciate if any one can help me with this.

Assy Part Color
A wheel white
A wheel red
A axle steel
A hood red
A hood blue
A hood black
B wheel black
B wheel green
B axle steel
C cover red
C cover blue
C cover black
C door green
C door yellow
C door red
C heater NA
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Debra Dalgleish has a wonderful site showing all the tricks of the DV
universe. Specifically, dependent drop downs are he
But I also recommend exploring her site, very very helpful.
--
** John C **

"Riddler" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I appreciate the link but it does not do what I am asking. I want a
succesive refinement of my choices as I make each one. Narrowing it
down each time.

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

....successive refinement... what does that mean?
Her site does what you want. Are you wanting dependent dropdowns, or are you
wanting as each choice is chosen, to have the choice removed as an option,
but leave the others. Search that site for Hide Previously used choices.

Otherwise, explain exactly what you are trying for.
--
** John C **