Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Accumulating Multiple Inputs From a Single Cell

I am running XL 2007 and what I want to do is to be able to put a series of
different numbers into one individual cell and have them show as an
accumulated total in another.
The idea is to be able to produce a score system for a game with up to 6
people playing without having having to have long columns of input for each
player.
Each player would have a a single cell below their name to input their
scores during the game and adjacent to that another cell would display the
running total.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Right click sheet tabview codeinsert this. Now when you change a cell in
col b, col c will increase. Put the names in col A.

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal target As Excel.Range)
If Intersect(target, Range("b2:b22")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
target.Offset(, 1) = target.Value + target.Offset(, 1)
Application.EnableEvents = True

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"don2712" wrote in message
I am running XL 2007 and what I want to do is to be able to put a series of
different numbers into one individual cell and have them show as an
accumulated total in another.
The idea is to be able to produce a score system for a game with up to 6
people playing without having having to have long columns of input for
each
player.
Each player would have a a single cell below their name to input their
scores during the game and adjacent to that another cell would display the
running total.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your reply, I have never used the developer before so I'm
afraid I still have a couple of queries.
I typed the routine in exactly as it is here but line 4 starting
'target.Offset' seems to have a problem as it is being highlighted in yellow
however, as far as I can see everything seems to have been entered correctly.
Secondly, I do not know how to activate the routine once it has been
accepted by the developer.

"don2712" wrote in message
I am running XL 2007 and what I want to do is to be able to put a series of
different numbers into one individual cell and have them show as an
accumulated total in another.
The idea is to be able to produce a score system for a game with up to 6
people playing without having having to have long columns of input for
each
player.
Each player would have a a single cell below their name to input their
scores during the game and adjacent to that another cell would display the
running total.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All you should have had to do is follow my instructions to right click the
SHEET tabview codeCOPY/paste this instead of typing it in. Activating the
routine is AUTOMATIC when you enter a number in cells b2:b22 then number in
the column to the right will increase by the number entered. Pretty
simple....................

"don2712" wrote in message
I am running XL 2007 and what I want to do is to be able to put a series
of
different numbers into one individual cell and have them show as an
accumulated total in another.
The idea is to be able to produce a score system for a game with up to
6
people playing without having having to have long columns of input for
each
player.
Each player would have a a single cell below their name to input their
scores during the game and adjacent to that another cell would display
the
running total.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can be done per Don's code.

I would point out that there is no way of error checking this type of
operation.

There is no "paper trail" to show you when/if a mistake is made in data
entry.

Excel sheet has many cells............use them to input scores for each
player.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP