tonyayres

Default email addresses in cells

If I enter an email address into a cell, Excel underlines it and then treats
it as a live address. This makes it impossible to edit. The only solution I
have found is to use Paste Special, but even then the pasted version becomes
live again as soon as you have finished editing it.

Does anyone know a way of switching this maddening feature off - either
temporarily or permanently?

Tony
Gord Dibben

In XL 2002 and 2003 you can turn this off through ToolsAutoCorrect
OptionsAutoFormat as you type.

Uncheck the box you find there.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:42:01 -0700, tonyayres
wrote:

If I enter an email address into a cell, Excel underlines it and then treats
it as a live address. This makes it impossible to edit. The only solution I
have found is to use Paste Special, but even then the pasted version becomes
live again as soon as you have finished editing it.

Does anyone know a way of switching this maddening feature off - either
temporarily or permanently?

Tony

JulieD

Hi

tools / autocorrect options / autoformat as you type - UNTICK internet and
network paths with hyperlinks

be warned, this may affect other programs like Word.

Alternatively, as soon as Excel changes it to a hyperlink use ctrl & z to
"undo" the change (or the undo icon on the toolbar)

--
Cheers
JulieD