Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default What does compatabity mode mean?

I recently reloaded office 07. Now an excel spreadsheet I am working on has
(shared) and (compatabilty mode) in the title bar. I can't find any
explanation of what this means. Is it possibly causing the problems I am
experiencing eg most functions under 'insert' greyed out eg pivot tables etc.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Madsalmon,

I recently reloaded office 07. Now an excel spreadsheet I am working on has
(shared) and (compatabilty mode) in the title bar. I can't find any
explanation of what this means. Is it possibly causing the problems I am
experiencing eg most functions under 'insert' greyed out eg pivot tables etc.

Compatibility mode is what Excel 2007 enters as soon as you open an "old" Excel
file. It ensures your file stays within the old fileformats boundaries
regarding for example the number of rows and columns.

Shared means the workbook is in shared mode and theoretically more than one
user can edit the file (which I do not recommend you to do!).

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com
Member of:
Professional Office Developer Association
www.proofficedev.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

This means that the workbook was created under an earlier version of Excel.
Having loaded the file, clcik the round Office buttonSave as choose and
xlsx file if there are no macros involved, or an xlsm file if you have
macros.

Close, the file then re-open.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"madsalmon" wrote in message
I recently reloaded office 07. Now an excel spreadsheet I am working on
has
(shared) and (compatabilty mode) in the title bar. I can't find any
explanation of what this means. Is it possibly causing the problems I am
experiencing eg most functions under 'insert' greyed out eg pivot tables
etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is also possible to install Office 07 in a compatablity mode so that all
the default is for files to be created in the XLS format so that they are
compatible with the earlier versions of office applications.

HTH