Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "too many different cell formats" - one more time with FEELING

Running 2003 sp3 - getting error message.
Tried previous suggestions -
Formatstyle made changes but error message pops up not allowing changes to
be made.
Tried highlighting entire worksheet - rt clk - format - won't allow me to
make changes.
Tried cutting and pasting all but minimal data to separate worksheet -
clearing contents on blank fields - error still exists. This is with a data
field that's 28 rows X 11 col wide.

Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Instead of cutting and pasting, how about
copy
paste special|formulas
into that a new worksheet in a new workbook.

But it's difficult to believe that 308 cells (28 rows by 11 columns) would cause
this trouble.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi David - Thanks for weighing in on this. I've tried Copypaste special -
without success - but it does work when I drop it into a NEW Spreadsheet. But
only a little bit at a time. If I copypastespecialvalues and move the
entire sheet to a new spreadsheet it doesn't work - but if I move it
piecemeal - it does.

I also tried Copypaste specialvalues into a new sheet and that doesn't
work either.

I think my spreadsheet is toast.... I's a biggy and moving it is going to be
difficult - any other thoughts??

I also get this error if I erase all the data - clear contents, Copypaste
special etc. on an "empty" spreadsheet

stumped-in-excel wrote:

Running 2003 sp3 - getting error message.
Tried previous suggestions -
Formatstyle made changes but error message pops up not allowing changes to
be made.
Tried highlighting entire worksheet - rt clk - format - won't allow me to
make changes.
Tried cutting and pasting all but minimal data to separate worksheet -
clearing contents on blank fields - error still exists. This is with a data
field that's 28 rows X 11 col wide.

Help!!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Sheeloo -
thanks for you help - I've tried that and more - see my reply to David below
for my machinations.... Would appreciate any other ideas....

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Did you try
Edit-Clear Formats?

"stumped-in-excel" wrote:

Running 2003 sp3 - getting error message.
Tried previous suggestions -
Formatstyle made changes but error message pops up not allowing changes to
be made.
Tried highlighting entire worksheet - rt clk - format - won't allow me to
make changes.
Tried cutting and pasting all but minimal data to separate worksheet -
clearing contents on blank fields - error still exists. This is with a data
field that's 28 rows X 11 col wide.

Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, I'd paste special|formulas (not values).

Second, if you're moving the sheet that has too many formats used into the new
workbook, then the new workbook will have too many formats, too.

But I'm not sure what you're doing when you write "move it piecemeal". Could
you explain what that means?

stumped-in-excel wrote:

Running 2003 sp3 - getting error message.
Tried previous suggestions -
Formatstyle made changes but error message pops up not allowing changes to
be made.
Tried highlighting entire worksheet - rt clk - format - won't allow me to
make changes.
Tried cutting and pasting all but minimal data to separate worksheet -
clearing contents on blank fields - error still exists. This is with a data
field that's 28 rows X 11 col wide.

Help!!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ps.

XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats

A few people have said that OpenOffice.Org has been able to open the file. Then
they clean it up and save it there. Then excel can open that cleaned up
version.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-104 meg download or a CD

stumped-in-excel wrote:

Running 2003 sp3 - getting error message.
Tried previous suggestions -
Formatstyle made changes but error message pops up not allowing changes to
be made.
Tried highlighting entire worksheet - rt clk - format - won't allow me to
make changes.
Tried cutting and pasting all but minimal data to separate worksheet -
clearing contents on blank fields - error still exists. This is with a data
field that's 28 rows X 11 col wide.

Help!!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi David -
I moved the data to a new spreadsheet - didn't change a thing and it's
running. But I found that if I move an entire sheet at one time it brought
along the error and corrupted the entire spreadsheet. But when I moved an
individual sheet in two parts - it was fine.

But sometimes it's easier to create a "work around" then figure out where
the folder blew a gasket!!

I'll keep the openoffice.org recommendation top of mind for the next time!!

regards -