Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
stumped-in-excel[_2_] stumped-in-excel[_2_] is offline

Default "too many different cell formats" - one more time with FEELING

Hi David -
I moved the data to a new spreadsheet - didn't change a thing and it's
running. But I found that if I move an entire sheet at one time it brought
along the error and corrupted the entire spreadsheet. But when I moved an
individual sheet in two parts - it was fine.

But sometimes it's easier to create a "work around" then figure out where
the folder blew a gasket!!

I'll keep the openoffice.org recommendation top of mind for the next time!!

regards -

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

First, I'd paste special|formulas (not values).

Second, if you're moving the sheet that has too many formats used into the new
workbook, then the new workbook will have too many formats, too.

But I'm not sure what you're doing when you write "move it piecemeal". Could
you explain what that means?

stumped-in-excel wrote:

Hi David - Thanks for weighing in on this. I've tried Copypaste special -
without success - but it does work when I drop it into a NEW Spreadsheet. But
only a little bit at a time. If I copypastespecialvalues and move the
entire sheet to a new spreadsheet it doesn't work - but if I move it
piecemeal - it does.

I also tried Copypaste specialvalues into a new sheet and that doesn't
work either.

I think my spreadsheet is toast.... I's a biggy and moving it is going to be
difficult - any other thoughts??

I also get this error if I erase all the data - clear contents, Copypaste
special etc. on an "empty" spreadsheet

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Instead of cutting and pasting, how about
copy
paste special|formulas
into that a new worksheet in a new workbook.

But it's difficult to believe that 308 cells (28 rows by 11 columns) would cause
this trouble.

stumped-in-excel wrote:

Running 2003 sp3 - getting error message.
Tried previous suggestions -
Formatstyle made changes but error message pops up not allowing changes to
be made.
Tried highlighting entire worksheet - rt clk - format - won't allow me to
make changes.
Tried cutting and pasting all but minimal data to separate worksheet -
clearing contents on blank fields - error still exists. This is with a data
field that's 28 rows X 11 col wide.

Help!!

--

Dave Peterson