Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Something other than Absolute, Relative or Mixed references

Hi All and Happy New Year,

I want to write a formula like:

=INDIRECT(COLUMN()&"1")

but the obvious drawback is that column returns a numeric and not an alpha
reference.

The reason I want this is have a formula that can be copied down and across
that refers to the top cell in each column to which is copied.

Hopefully my header line makes it clear that playing around with "$" signs
is not the answer.

I could put in a table with 1 to 26 and A to Z in it and run a Vlookup over
it but that just seems too OTT.

Probably missing the bleeding obvious again - that and 2.5 weeks off with
primo SI NZ sunshine (and beer) rotting my brain.

Cheers,

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Take a look at the ADDRESS function in Excel Help.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 6, 1:19*am, veryeavy
wrote:
Hi All and Happy New Year,

I want to write a formula like:

=INDIRECT(COLUMN()&"1")

but the obvious drawback is that column returns a numeric and not an alpha
reference.

The reason I want this is have a formula that can be copied down and across
that refers to the top cell in each column to which is copied.

Hopefully my header line makes it clear that playing around with "$" signs
is not the answer.

I could put in a table with 1 to 26 and A to Z in it and run a Vlookup over
it but that just seems too OTT.

Probably missing the bleeding obvious again - that and 2.5 weeks off with
primo SI NZ sunshine (and beer) rotting my brain.

Cheers,

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or, you could use R1C1 format, so that you are only dealing with
numbers.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 6, 1:19*am, veryeavy
wrote:
Hi All and Happy New Year,

I want to write a formula like:

=INDIRECT(COLUMN()&"1")

but the obvious drawback is that column returns a numeric and not an alpha
reference.

The reason I want this is have a formula that can be copied down and across
that refers to the top cell in each column to which is copied.

Hopefully my header line makes it clear that playing around with "$" signs
is not the answer.

I could put in a table with 1 to 26 and A to Z in it and run a Vlookup over
it but that just seems too OTT.

Probably missing the bleeding obvious again - that and 2.5 weeks off with
primo SI NZ sunshine (and beer) rotting my brain.

Cheers,

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Many thanks Pete - several months of Sundays would have elapsed before I
stumbled on this.

In case there are any interested bystanders the formula now looks like:

=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN()))

wrote:
Hi All and Happy New Year,

I want to write a formula like:

=INDIRECT(COLUMN()&"1")

but the obvious drawback is that column returns a numeric and not an alpha
reference.

The reason I want this is have a formula that can be copied down and across
that refers to the top cell in each column to which is copied.

Hopefully my header line makes it clear that playing around with "$" signs
is not the answer.

I could put in a table with 1 to 26 and A to Z in it and run a Vlookup over
it but that just seems too OTT.

Probably missing the bleeding obvious again - that and 2.5 weeks off with
primo SI NZ sunshine (and beer) rotting my brain.

Cheers,

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome, Matt - thanks for feeding back.

I hope you enjoy your sunshine - it's freezing here, literally !!

Pete

On Jan 6, 1:52*am, veryeavy
wrote:
Many thanks Pete - several months of Sundays would have elapsed before I
stumbled on this.

In case there are any interested bystanders the formula now looks like:

=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN()))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:19:01 -0800, veryeavy
wrote:

The reason I want this is have a formula that can be copied down and across
that refers to the top cell in each column to which is copied.

Hopefully my header line makes it clear that playing around with "$" signs
is not the answer.

It makes it clear that you don't WANT to "play around with dollar signs" but
not clear why =A$1 wouldn't work.

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For the record my final fomula is this:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1 ,COLUMN())),$A2),JanPSGLData!$A:$J,10,0)),0,VLOOKU P(CONCATENATE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN())),$A2),J anPSGLData!$A:$J,10,0))

If this can in any way be "cleaned up" while still being able to be copied
downwards and sideways I will incorporate those enhancements.

Cheers All,

Matt

wrote:

The reason I want this is have a formula that can be copied down and across
that refers to the top cell in each column to which is copied.

Hopefully my header line makes it clear that playing around with "$" signs
is not the answer.

It makes it clear that you don't WANT to "play around with dollar signs" but
not clear why =A$1 wouldn't work.

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes my previous answer may well have been rubbish - maybe because each of my
column headers is a different date - is that the reason?

I am struggling today and apologise if I have wasted anyone's time - I
mainly try to condense my questions to only ask about the bit that I believe
I am stuck on but realise that sometimes describing the full scenario might
be more enlightening all around.

Cheers,

Matt

wrote:

The reason I want this is have a formula that can be copied down and
across
that refers to the top cell in each column to which is copied.

Hopefully my header line makes it clear that playing around with "$"
signs
is not the answer.

It makes it clear that you don't WANT to "play around with dollar signs"
but
not clear why =A$1 wouldn't work.

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 19:01:01 -0800, veryeavy
wrote:

I want to be able to copy this formula down and across.

If you copy it across it will refer to the successive columns:

A2: =A$1
B2: =B$1

If you copy it down it will refer to the first row, as you described:

A3: =A$1
B3: =B$1
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 19:31:00 -0800, veryeavy
wrote:

For the record my final fomula is this:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS( 1,COLUMN())),$A2),JanPSGLData!$A:$J,10,0)),0,VLOOK UP(CONCATENATE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN())),$A2), JanPSGLData!$A:$J,10,0))

If this can in any way be "cleaned up" while still being able to be copied
downwards and sideways I will incorporate those enhancements.

Cheers All,

Matt

Try:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(A$1,$A2),JanPSGLDa ta!$A:$J,10,0)),0,VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(A$1,$A2),Jan PSGLData!$A:$J,10,0))

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Ron,

Looking at it now in the cold hard light of my third day back at work after
my summer holiday I have no idea whatsoever why I thought I needed to
overcomplicated this so much. Sunstroke maybe?

I have incorporated your formula in the final workbook.

It was very tempting to leave the complicated version in my workbook and I
will keep this up my sleeve if I ever want to muddy the waters in the future!

Best Regards,

Matt

wrote:

For the record my final fomula is this:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS( 1,COLUMN())),$A2),JanPSGLData!$A:$J,10,0)),0,VLOOK UP(CONCATENATE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN())),$A2), JanPSGLData!$A:$J,10,0))

If this can in any way be "cleaned up" while still being able to be copied
downwards and sideways I will incorporate those enhancements.

Cheers All,

Matt

Try:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(A$1,$A2),JanPSGLDa ta!$A:$J,10,0)),0,VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(A$1,$A2),Jan PSGLData!$A:$J,10,0))

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:26:00 -0800, veryeavy
wrote:

Thanks Ron,

Looking at it now in the cold hard light of my third day back at work after
my summer holiday I have no idea whatsoever why I thought I needed to
overcomplicated this so much. Sunstroke maybe?

I have incorporated your formula in the final workbook.

It was very tempting to leave the complicated version in my workbook and I
will keep this up my sleeve if I ever want to muddy the waters in the future!

Best Regards,

Matt

I've occasionally done the same thing -- an overly complicated solution to
something that can be solved quite simply.

But glad to help. Thanks for the feedback.
--ron